Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bottle question

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:22 PM
  • 8 Replies

I plan on breastfeeding but my husband is set to deploy when the baby is about 5 weeks and I will then be flying back to live with my parents while he is gone. I would like for him to be able to feed the baby before he leaves and I will also probably be pumping for the plane. I was wondering what bottles you mommies recommend to try to avoid nipple confusion?

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Hrivera5
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:27 PM

I used NUK and it didn't cause any problems for my son.  I pumped and breastfed back and forth and he didn't have any confusion.

jgirl04
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Being a first time mom, I have no clue! But I know I've seen them in the stores, so they do make one that it very similar to the breast. The only thing I can recommend is to check with the airlines regarding bringing bottles on the plane. I've heard stories on the news and whatnot, that moms were forced to either throw their bottle away before boarding, or drink from the bottles themselves to proove that there is nothing wrong with them, which then contaminated the nipple, so it was useless.

expecting boy

nicole4ray
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:29 PM

My aunt used a bottle that was created to be like a boob. I can't remember what it was called, but it was two layers, so the milk doesn't come out as fast. That way the baby doesn't start enjoying the instant gratification of the bottle and refuse the boob. I'm sure you could google it and find what it is. As for my daughter, once she got a bottle she refused the boob permanently, luckily she was 9 months old, so I got to breastfeed for awhile.

cheeres
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:34 PM

I love playtex bottles with drop in liners or bags.you push all the air out and the baby had to suck to be able to drink the bottle.  

- Chantel

Mom to a 4 year princess and a prince on the way!

Expecting a baby Boy!

Due March 2, 2009!

ErikaM27
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:36 PM

I used playtex and I would breastfeed majority of the time and I would also bottle feed when i was out running errands or if he was with my husband or anyone else. He fed very well.

chairhead28
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:48 PM

Breastflow bottles are the best (IMO) to avoid nipple confusion. Then again, my DD has only had two bottles (she's 3 months) since she's been born. She hates and refuses them. So, I barely pump because I waste my precious BM because she'd rather have it from the tap...

NachoCheese
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 3:51 PM

We have breastflow bottles and soothie bottles.

My daughter does fine with either of them and can still nurse and she isn't even 2 weeks old.

The breastflow bottles are awesome and more like the breast, but the pieces are kind of a pain, the milk stays in the nipple if she only finishes half a bottle, and it's kind of a pain to warm up.  I'm not sure if I'm using them wrong or what.

TiniMama
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Thanks for the advice ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)