Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: I need advice. I am so frusterated with my childish husband!

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:12 PM
  • 2 Replies

I have just about had it today. let me explain the financial position we are in first. We just lost our home 6 months ago to foreclosure, we are almost finished filing bankruptcy and we have a baby due in a month.

Now for the part that pisses me off. My husband insists on buying 'me' a 46 inch flat screen TV for my Christmas gift. (I mentioned awhile ago that 'd like one someday because our living room is very small and the 52 inch big screen takes up a lot of space). I have also mentioned that I would love to have a $30 printer and a clothes dryer since I don't have either one. Instead of us saving for one he wants to go to a rent to own store. His justification for using the store is that he plans on selling the one we have and doing the 90 day same as cash plan where he would pay a little over $2000 if he pays it off in 90 days. That is over double what we would pay if we were to save and get one at a regular store. 

He is not a stupid man but come on this kind of thinking is what got us into bankruptcy position to begin with. He simply will not see my side of it and is being so childish that he says he isn't doing Christmas now and anything I get him he will throw away. If the damn thing is supposed to be for me and I don't want it then what is the problem? I know it all comes down to his ego and his unwillingness to accept that you can't have everything you want right now just because you want it right now.  Gee, so sorry we don't have that kind of money and what is wrong with saving for one? I really don't know how to deal with this. I know he won't go against me and do it now, but that isn't even the issue anymore. I'm upset he obviously hasn't learned from our past financial mistakes. What do I do?

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
McRiene
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:29 PM

give him a swift kick in the ass!!!! I don't have a whole lotta advice for ya momma cause truth be told is in my household I am the compulsive spender. My husband seems to be a little more on the  save and scrimp pennies side. Although, he is ok with spending money for his hobbies.. LIKE.. hunting . I swear that man will rob peter to pay paul to buy hunting equipment! Good luck and hopefully yawl's issues will pan themseves out.

Necie72
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:42 PM

you need to call suze orman!  lol

really, those rent to own places are SUCH A RIP OFF!!!!!  they take advantage of people in your situation, who either have no credit or bad credit...  and we all know the TV is really for him...  especially since you put it in quotes...  lol

just keep putting your foot down...  finances are the #1 cause of divorce... 

i have been on both sides...  i was credit card crazy when i was younger, but i learned my lesson when i had to pay a collection agency...  i got my credit rating up and haven't had any late payments in over 10 years...  now, unemployed, single, and expecting my first child next month, i'm about to do something crazy...  i'm going to put baby stuff on a credit card that i know i won't be able to pay...  BUT, it's because it's stuff that i NEED for the baby...  i made the "mistake" of letting everyone know that i was having a girl...  a friend warned me...  so, i have A TON of clothes 0-3 months, and just a couple of things from my registry...  NO DIAPER BAG, NOT ONE BOTTLE, NO BATH TUB, etc. so, wal-mart, here i come!

so, i can see if it was something that was really necessary (i'd put the clothes dryer ahead of the tv and printer), but if it's just throwing money out the window, there's no excuse...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)