Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pediatricians and insurance question

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:57 PM
  • 8 Replies

ok. when do we need to pick a pediatrician for the baby? Someone else posted about picking a doctor but when do we need to have one by? Also, i think my fiance is going to put our little girl on his insurance, so when can he do that, he can't do that now can he? does he have to  wait until she is here? Will she be covered for her first doctors visit?

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mammanoel
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 5:59 PM

I don't really know about the insurance question because my DH is military.  But I have already picked out a doctor for the baby and will be meeting with her this week(I am 31 weeks) to discuss circumcision and his first appointment since this time I will be delivering at a birthing center where as before my sons were born at military hospitals and things run differently there.

MAdkins82
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:03 PM

Here you just tell the Drs at the hospital what pediatrician you picked out and they have someone from that group check the baby  before you go home.  Make sure to call them ahead of time and to be sure they will take on a new patient and tell them when you are due.  My Dh just calls over to his office within a day or so of the baby being born and they get the paper worked that needs filled out done.

LauraMisch
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:05 PM

he can put the baby on his insurance as soon as they are born!  and your newborn will have to have a check up after his first week or so, so you may want to look into a pedi soon after you deliver, or even ahead of time.

jbhaleyrn
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:05 PM

Yeah, what she said!!  And yes, she'll be covered for her first Dr's appointment. Her insurance will be retroactive to her day of birth.

Quoting MAdkins82:

Here you just tell the Drs at the hospital what pediatrician you picked out and they have someone from that group check the baby  before you go home.  Make sure to call them ahead of time and to be sure they will take on a new patient and tell them when you are due.  My Dh just calls over to his office within a day or so of the baby being born and they get the paper worked that needs filled out done.

LauraMisch
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:09 PM

oh it may take some time for the insurance to process a new person.  but as long as she is in the system, you should be able to see a pedi and be reimbursed if her coverage isn't verifiable the day you go in.  or some dr's even put a hold on your claims, so that you aren't charged anything until it goes through your insurance ... something you'd have to talk to the insurance and pediatrician's office about

bostonharlem
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:37 PM

In the case of both my other children, they were covered UNDER me until they were added to my insurance..... with my second son, we added him to my husbands insurance, so there was a lapse in coverage, about a month where we had to pay for his visits and his shots. But if you are adding your child to the same policy YOU are on, then there shouldn't a lapse and you should be able to take them to the Dr when needed. We didn't pick a pediatrician for my oldest son, he was seen by the Dr on call at the hospital, and then I asked if she accepting new patients, and she said yes. So he has been seeing her ever since, and I had her see my second son when he was born.

cheeres
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:43 PM

As soon as the baby is born you can put the baby on his insurance. He has 30 days to do this and they will usually back date it to the birth of the child.

The peditration I would start looking ahead of time as sometimes it is difficult to find an open peditration that you like.

- Chantel

Mom to a 4 year princess and a prince on the way!

Expecting a baby Boy!

Due March 2, 2009!

angel07bear
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 6:45 PM

With my first I picked the pedi at the hospital when I delivered. I already had him in mind and he came highly recommended

Click Below to Follow Me 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)