Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can cramping be Contractions??? (P.I.O.G)

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:41 PM
  • 7 Replies

Ok this sounds stupid, but I really do not know what contractions feel like.  I am getting an intense amount of cramping today along with frequent Braxton Hicks.  I have been getting very frequent Braxton Hicks contractions all weekend.  They have progressivly gotten worse and closer together, but I would not say they are painful just really uncomfortable, especially the cramping.  I have no idea if I am dialated b/c I have a planned c/s and the doc does not check.  I really am not suppose to go into labor, so I need to know when I am in early labor.  Hmmmm.... so confused.  I need some help on what to expect besides the obvious (i.e. water breaking, etc.)

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ashybaby87
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:44 PM

Sounds like the beginning of real contractions. When i went into labor it started feeling like i was getting my period... then slowly progressed & became more frequent, more intense & i couldnt sit still... had to keep walking to help ease the pain... & like everyone says, you seem to KNOW when youre in real labor... Good luck!

Click here to learn more

aliceryannesmom
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:45 PM

You will know when you feel real contractions, but the cramping is VERY common to have before labor starts (and in the beginning stages of labor!) Combined with lots of Braxton-Hicks, it definitely sounds like you may be in early labor.

Nichol81
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:54 PM

Hmm that is what my mom says too.  I am not really supposed to go into real labor, but I have an appt tomorrow morning.  I did not know when I was in labor with my first daughter LOL! I went in for my planned c/s (she was breech) and I was contracting every 2 mins and dialated to 4 LOL!  But I did not have these cramps.  Now the cramps are starting to coincide with the braxton hicks. Everytime I move it happens.

Quoting aliceryannesmom:

You will know when you feel real contractions, but the cramping is VERY common to have before labor starts (and in the beginning stages of labor!) Combined with lots of Braxton-Hicks, it definitely sounds like you may be in early labor.

JessMomof2boys
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:55 PM

Try drinking like 3 big glasses of water and laying down for an hour.  A lot of times if you're not getting enough water it'll cause cramping.  I've been having it also and my dr told me to do that and seeing if they went away.  If they don't go away then it very well could be early labor.  BUT cramping and contractions are very common in the end and early labor can last for weeks.  good luck

pregnancy week by week

JessMomof2boys
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:56 PM

If its happening when you move then its probably just round ligament pain or you just havent drank enough water

Quoting Nichol81:

Hmm that is what my mom says too.  I am not really supposed to go into real labor, but I have an appt tomorrow morning.  I did not know when I was in labor with my first daughter LOL! I went in for my planned c/s (she was breech) and I was contracting every 2 mins and dialated to 4 LOL!  But I did not have these cramps.  Now the cramps are starting to coincide with the braxton hicks. Everytime I move it happens.

Quoting aliceryannesmom:

pregnancy week by week

aliceryannesmom
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:57 PM

I agree, drinking several glasses of water and laying down for a while is a good idea. If it doesn't seem to help, keep monitoring how you feel and use your instinct to tell you whether or not you should call the doctor! If it continues and you really think you may be progressing in labor, you definitely don't want to wait until your appt tomorrow to find out. :) Good luck!

Candice0986
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 7:58 PM

My early labor felt like period cramps! If you are not supposed to go into active labor then I would have it checked out even though you have an appt tomorrow. You probably dont want to go into active labor in the middle of the night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)