Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

baby sleep position question

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:09 PM
  • 3 Replies

my son is a week old and he sleeps in a bassinet next to our bed. the doc said to ONLY let him sleep on his back.. but he just really doesnt like it.. he will sleep on his side... and i havnt tried his tummy but when hes laying on me he falls asleep immediatly so it seems  he would also sleep this way.;; should i let him do it? or is it honestly really bad for him?

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Optimist80
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 4:57 AM

I have no idea medically how sleeping on the tummy could be bad for a baby, but i personally fear that the baby can suffocate accidentally (not to scare you). If i put my baby to sleep on her tummy i would constantly look that she was still breathing or is not in a position that could endanger her, i don't know why when there's a small baby around i always check that they are still breathing! I don't see a problem with sleeping on their sides though.

jenjobrien
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 9:00 AM

Sleeping on the tummy is one of the reasons babies die from SIDS.  Thats why they tell you NEVER to let them.

stellarmom1
by on Dec. 16, 2008 at 9:04 AM

honestly I would listen to your doctor.  With all the sids scare stuff I just personally would't risk it.  I think if you have laying on you on his tummy that's okay but not in his bassinet ever. 

"blonde moments are my speciality"     

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)