Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions for mothers who've had C-Sections!??!

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:59 PM
  • 36 Replies

I've got a few questions for woman who've had C-Section. Well, first off.. I had my first son vaginally and I was in labor for 15 hours.. It hurt but I got over it.. and I recovered quickly. Now, I'm pregnant with twins and they are both breech so the doctor has scheduled me for a C-Section. Now, this really scares me... I don't know anything about it.. He even said I may need a blood transfusion and the thought of having someone elses blood in me just creeps me out!

So my questions are..

Did it hurt so bad you wanted to cry? like literally CRY!?

How long did it take for you to heal?

Are you awake when they give you a C-Section?

How long does the anesthesia last?

For mothers who have had both vaginal and c-section births -- which was more painful? & which was easier to recover from?

For mothers who have kids close in age.. how were you able to move around to care for your babies? I've got a 1 1/2 year old and the twins are due in 2 weeks! Both the FOB & my mom are working full time.. I've got no one to help really... I can do it.. I'm just wondering how you moms were able to.

Have any of you C-Section-ares (lol) had to have a blood transfusion? What was it like?

Were you able to walk around still?

Does it leave an ugly scar for the rest of your life? (I heard it did wayyyy back in the day.. like for my older aunties.. but now they do it different? or something, i forget)

I have a million other questions but I cant think of them right now for some reason! Ugh, I will just come back to update when I remember. But thanks for coming by.. and I look forward to reading your responses.. Thanks!

by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:10 PM

Do you want to avoid a cesarean? It sounds like you might like to investigate your options before going that route. I would be worried if my doctor said that, too. Did he give you info about your options? Why a transfusion?

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

mrs.knowlton02
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:11 PM

Did it hurt so bad you wanted to cry? like literally CRY!? I didnt cry....you dont feel anything until they grab the baby and it feels like someone put a big water jug on your stomach...

How long did it take for you to heal? i was in the hospital for about 3/4 days and they let me go and it take about 6 weeks to do the things you normaly do....

Are you awake when they give you a C-Section? Yes unless you ask to be put to sleep or if for medical reasons they put you to sleep....

How long does the anesthesia last? dont really reamber i was on alot of pain meds....they will do that sometimes lol....

For mothers who have had both vaginal and c-section births -- which was more painful? & which was easier to recover from?

For mothers who have kids close in age.. how were you able to move around to care for your babies? well my son was 3 when i had my daughter but my hubby took off work for 10 days and we had a roommate at the time who helped out a lot....

Have any of you C-Section-ares (lol) had to have a blood transfusion? What was it like? I didnt have one....it just deapend on if you loose to much blood then they will give you one....ive had one before (3 months after my daughter was born) and its not really all that bad i thought it was kinda cool lol....

Were you able to walk around still? yes you can but you have to limit your self to what you do and how you do it like you cant pick you other child up and risk opening you insiction....

Does it leave an ugly scar for the rest of your life? mine did but i didnt have a bikini cut i had the one that goes up and down my sons head got stuck in the birth conal so that why they did that....but it some what fades and its not to ugly lol....if you have a scar you cant stand to look at then try vitam E oil 3 times a day it works wonders lol....

pregnant
liddellmama
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:13 PM

Ok I have had 2 with my 3rd this feb coming up so I hope I can help :D

Did it hurt so bad you wanted to cry? like literally CRY!? not during the c-section I didnt even feel the pressure that women sometimes feel as they are taking the baby out. I did hurt the first few times trying to get up and walk, but the more I walked the better it felt.

How long did it take for you to heal? For me after 2 months you couldnt even see the scar (both times) I was feeling pretty normal at around 3 weeks (but that is just me)

Are you awake when they give you a C-Section? yes I was awake both times... they normlly do not like to have the mom under general (asleep) unless it is a MAJOR emergency and my hubby was also with me :D

How long does the anesthesia last? I was in recovery for about 45 mins but I could start moving my legs after 20 mins

For mothers who have kids close in age.. how were you able to move around to care for your babies? I was able to move well like before after 2 weeks (this is proably b/c I walked so much in the beginning of recovery)

Have any of you C-Section-ares (lol) had to have a blood transfusion? What was it like? never had to have a BT they say you may e more likely b/c its 2 babies not  one, but i really doubt that you will end up having one

Were you able to walk around still? after the c-setion they got me up and walking after 12 hours :D

Does it leave an ugly scar for the rest of your life? for me no, it a tiny little line, and they cut me in the same scar twice... my surgeon said that if she didnt do it herself she would have thought i only had the old one :D but it really depends on how your body heals

if you have any questions you can pm me :D

oh and i had my kids on thursdays and was out on saturday at noon :D

KatCakes2788
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Did it hurt so bad you wanted to cry? like literally CRY!? The recovery was bad but to be honest the worst part was afterwards when the nurse came in twice and had to push on my stomache to check for inflamation. That was the worst part for me.

How long did it take for you to heal?I was walking around the next day at the hospital and was able to do things on my own comfortably in a week

Are you awake when they give you a C-Section? I was awake during the c-section and I didn't want to be b/c I was scared but my nurses talked me into it and I did and I'm glad that I was awake for it.

How long does the anesthesia last? Well the epi that I had for my emergency c-section wore off while they were putting everything back in. It was scary but they had already taken the baby out so they put me to sleep. And I woke up when they picked me up and put me on the other bed in the operating room.

For mothers who have had both vaginal and c-section births -- which was more painful? & which was easier to recover from? I'll let you know in March. LOL

For mothers who have kids close in age.. how were you able to move around to care for your babies? Once again I'll let oyu knw. But the body of a woman is a strong thing that we take advatage of and don't realize the power that we have in ourselves to be able to do  things.

Have any of you C-Section-ares (lol) had to have a blood transfusion? What was it like? Didn't get one... I don't think. LOL

Were you able to walk around still? The Next day.

Does it leave an ugly scar for the rest of your life? I have a beautiful scar. lol I had my daughter 2 years ago and now you can hardly see it... seriously. They did a wonderful job... but you can't see it anyways even if it were ugly b/c of my saggy belly. lol

expecting girltoddler girl ~You know your too into Twilight when you look at your husband and think 'dang it, why don't you sparkle?'~  ~Edward Cullen is to women what sex is to men.... on our minds every 7 seconds~

MAMA-MANDI
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:27 PM

Did it hurt so bad you wanted to cry? like literally CRY!? no, it was painful afterwards but nothing i couldn't handle

How long did it take for you to heal? it took me about 2 weeks to walk normally again

Are you awake when they give you a C-Section? yes

How long does the anesthesia last?i had an epideral the first time so i got my feeling back hours after the surgery, this time i am suppose to get a spinal block which does not last as long

For mothers who have kids close in age.. how were you able to move around to care for your babies?  my last pregnancy was my first but i would have needed help if i had a toddler, no lifting after the urgery for a few weeks

Have any of you C-Section-ares (lol) had to have a blood transfusion? What was it like? no

Were you able to walk around still? yes, but hunched over for awhile lol

Does it leave an ugly scar for the rest of your life? my scar does not look that bad, it had faded alot... but it is still there and probably always will be

Mandi
melissab1998
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:30 PM

my first child was born naturally and I was up within ten minutes of giving birth.   This time I had emergency csection.    Because it was emergency my mom and my husband were not allowed in there with me.    I was awake and couldnt really feel anything except when they pulled him out.   They told me that I would feel pressure and it literally felt like they were pulling my insides out..    I felt no pain that day.. they gave me this little clicker for pain and I didnt use it once.   They said the next day I would be able to shower and get up.    The hardest part at that time for me was not being able to move my feet and legs on my own.   I was dependant on nurses to clean me and turn me.   There was one spot where my butt never left the bed and that spot hurt when the feeling came back that next morning.   They came around with these wonderful happy pills as I called them for the pain I now felt.    Because of some issues I wasnt allowed to get up til later that afternoon.   THey had me walk the halls and do laps.    That first time to stand up was  adoozy.   IT felt like my insides were goin to come out.    Rather than sit down after taking my laps I walked around in my room for a while.    I have a five year old to take care of.    It was hard keeping him off my belly.  He is autistic an I didnt want him to have negative feelings associated with the baby.   Therefor I stopped the "baby hurt mommys belly comments so dont climb on her comments.    I had to do it on my own at the hospital..  the baby was in my room and I wasnt able to move my legs to get up to check on him and at home.     I managed although slowly.    You wont be able to lift your other child for a while.   That was hard for me.   I found I couldnt take the happy pills at home bc I had no one there to tend to baby when I fell asleep.    I had pain afterwards.. and stil from time to time now two months later feel  pain there.   I am overweight and that belly flap really caused me complications and infections.    If you have one put a towel or something to keep it dry for a while.    I do have a scar although t is fading somewhat It will be there.    As far as the blood transfusion.. do u have a relative that would be willing to donate if you needed it.  My mom was there in case i needed some.    Good luck! You are going to have your hands full but you will be fine!

Proud mom to Jacob and Jonah 

Pauline3283
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Did it hurt so bad you wanted to cry? like literally CRY!?

Yes, everytime I had to cough for 2 weeks and after that at certain times if I moved the wrong way.

How long did it take for you to heal?

ABout a month for the first one.  ABout 3 weeks for the second.

Are you awake when they give you a C-Section?

Asleep for the first, awake for the seond.

How long does the anesthesia last?

With the first, it didn't work and I could feel them cutting so I was put to sleep.  With the second it lasted for about...24 hours or so?

Vaginal is easier, no contest.  C-sections suck.

For mothers who have kids close in age.. how were you able to move around to care for your babies?

I literally crawled to take care of my kids after the first one.  I had no help at all.  I had a 1 year old, a 10 month old and a newborn at the time.  After the second I had help and they were at the baby sitter for most of the healing time since my son was in the NICU because of the c-section.  I was there to be with him.

Have any of you C-Section-ares (lol) had to have a blood transfusion? What was it like?

I haven't.  I always refuse transfusions.

Were you able to walk around still?

No choice but it was hard and I walked as little as possible after the first(hence the crawling).  I had to walk a lot after the second one to get around the hospital.

Does it leave an ugly scar for the rest of your life?

You can barely see the scar and it's hidden by my panties anyway.

Pauline, homeschooling, non-vaxing, homebirthing, no spanking, anti-CIO, anti-circ, extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, extended rear facing, co-sleeping, baby wearing mom to Christopher, Amanda, Francesca, Zachary, Nicholas and Aaron due in February.

Pauline3283
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:39 PM

Oh, during.  HELL yea during my first one.  The anesthesia didn't work.  I was sliced into with no pain killers.

Quoting liddellmama:

Did it hurt so bad you wanted to cry? like literally CRY!? not during the c-section I didnt even feel the pressure that women sometimes feel as they are taking the baby out. I did hurt the first few times trying to get up and walk, but the more I walked the better it felt.

Pauline, homeschooling, non-vaxing, homebirthing, no spanking, anti-CIO, anti-circ, extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, extended rear facing, co-sleeping, baby wearing mom to Christopher, Amanda, Francesca, Zachary, Nicholas and Aaron due in February.

michelle6_10
by on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:48 PM

First, I agree with Doulala, you should see what other options there are and ask doc. questions about why you HAVE to have a c section and transfusion.

Did it hurt so bad you wanted to cry? like literally CRY!? No, it wasn't that bad. You can't even feel anything until afterwards

How long did it take for you to heal? I was back at work in 3 weeks

Are you awake when they give you a C-Section? yes

How long does the anesthesia last? i could move myself onto the bed to be wheeled into recovery right after the surgery but I don't think I was supposed to be able to do that

For mothers who have had both vaginal and c-section births -- which was more painful? & which was easier to recover from? cant answer this, but I honestly think I was more sore from pushing than from the surgery (pushed 2 1/2 hours) 

For mothers who have kids close in age.. how were you able to move around to care for your babies? 1 week, but everyone is different

Were you able to walk around still? yes, but it was slow going for a couple days

Does it leave an ugly scar for the rest of your life? I have a small scar, but it's waaay down there, so a two piece wouldn't be a problem (except the nasty stretch marks lol)

chairhead28
by Silver Member on Dec. 15, 2008 at 10:51 PM

This is pretty emotional for me to talk about. So, here goes.

Did it hurt so bad you wanted to cry? like literally CRY!? I don't know. The actual procedure didn't hurt, but I had been in labour for over 2 days with no epidural, so I was kind of numb already to pain. I needed to get a spinal and THAT hurt. She did it completely wrong and it kept making my left foot twitch because she wasn't doing it right. Finally, she got it in and it was okay. The tugging and pulling felt weird. And when they grabbed out my DD that was a WEIRD feeling. It felt like I couldn't breathe and some huge 400lb man was sitting on my chest. They tell you to hold your breath when they do that, well, at least they did that to me.

How long did it take for you to heal? I'm still healing. (3 months PP) I have a 19 month old son (16 months and teething HORRIBLY at the time) that I need to take care of too. That's the main reason I was so emotional, well, minus the fact that I felt like I failed my body. And my body failed me. I was in absolute pain for at least two weeks. I've got fibromyalgia on top of it all, so that made it a lot worse.

Are you awake when they give you a C-Section? I was, you usually are unless you need a super emergency c-section and you don't already have a spinal or epidural.

How long does the anesthesia last? The spinal for me didn't last too long. They said I couldn't hold my baby or feed her (I am EBF) until I could feel my body and I said screw that and lied and was breastfeeding her with confidence at 30 minutes after the surgery. I probably felt completely not numb after 3ish hours.

For mothers who have had both vaginal and c-section births -- which was more painful? & which was easier to recover from? VAGINAL ALL OF THE WAY!!!!! I would have given ANYTHING to have a vaginal delivery with her. I had one with my DS and I was in labour for THREE days, pushed THREE different times for 7.5 hours and I'd STILL do it over again. Vaginal was a LOT easier to get over. A c-section left me with both emotional AND physical pain.

For mothers who have kids close in age.. how were you able to move around to care for your babies? HA. I fortunately had my MIL come on the weekends and my mom come during the week. I couldn't get my son out of his crib so I needed someone here to do that for me. Plus I needed people to just take care of him and hold him if he needed/wanted something. I was limping around for quiet some time and even now picking him up it hurts. But, that's just me. And my fibro might have something to do with it too. My husband tried helping me when he could, but he worked 5 days a week, 9-12hr days...

Have any of you C-Section-ares (lol) had to have a blood transfusion? What was it like? I almost needed one with my son (vaginal) but I actually bled LESS with my c-section than I did with my vaginal. They already had all the signs and blood ready for me because I bled and lost almost 2/3 of my blood with my son. I went from having a hemoglobin level of 12.2 to 6.4 with my son.

Were you able to walk around still? HAHAHA. No. They recommend you stay in the bed until the next morning, then encourage you to walk around because it helps you feel faster. When you get up it literally feels like your stomach is going to fall down. It's a really weird sensation.

Does it leave an ugly scar for the rest of your life?No. It's a really small scar. I was actually really surprised. And kind of creaped out that she got pulled out of that tiny scar. (She was 8lbs 12oz and 19.5 inches long with a 14" head. She never went into my pelvis and she was too big for my body. That's also why it took my son forever to come down too. If I hadn't been in labour for over three days he wouldn't of come out either vaginally. My body is just too small.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)