Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hot baths

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:55 AM
  • 8 Replies

what do u think about hot baths during pregnancy

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ValRiggs
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:05 AM

I'm not to sure myself.. I did a little research though and found this article for you. I hope it helps!

Is it safe to have hot baths during pregnancy?

Written for BabyCentre UK

The BabyCentre Editorial Team answers:

Warm baths have been used for centuries for all sorts of reasons and the relaxing effect on body muscles and on the mind is well known. There is something "luxurious" about soaking in a warm bath and there is nothing to suggest that this is unsafe in pregnancy.

However, you do need to be cautious about "hot" baths as there is little known about the possible effects on the blood flowing through the placenta or on the baby. If the water is too hot, you could also feel faint or sick, as it could lower your blood pressure a bit too much - not a good thing.

So how do you decide if your bath is "hot" or "warm"?

Test the water with your elbow or forearm before getting in as you would for a child. This part of your skin is more sensitive to temperature than your feet or hands. Warm should be just comfortable so that you can get straight in without having to get in bit by bit! A too-hot bath is also likely to affect the colour of your skin, turning it red, and you may find yourself sweating.

Happy soaking!

I found this article at the following link:

http://www.babycenter.in/pregnancy/isitsafeto/hotbathsexpert/

Valerie Riggs - Diamond Creek Candles Consultant

Nichol81
    by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:09 AM

The doctor says there fine, however I find it hard to get out of them right now LOL!  A little akward.

chunkiemonkie12
    by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:12 AM

ya kno not once did i have a hot or warm bath during pregnancy.. shower yes but not bath... then AFTER i had him they told me DONT TAKE A HOT SHOWER OR YOUR MILK WILL COME IN (cuz i didnt breastfeed) and wut did i do?! i took a warm shower and POP!! my boobies were rock solid. LOL sorry i just had to have some kinda input

BabyNamey.com Name Badge
    soulawakening82
    by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:36 AM

My MW says it's fine, just don't get into a hot tub. I think it's more so the baby isn't surrounded by the hot water, and heating up the amniotic fluid, since in a bath, it won't completely cover your belly.

pregnancy

www.myspace.com/kittypooh1982

Lovin_LiL_ViC
    by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:40 AM

They are fine as long as they do not exceed a certain degree, which your OB can tell you... I can't remember the degree.

I always take  HOT showers, nothing happens.

Took  a warm bath while I was in labor, well  contracting about 5-6cm, it slowed my contractions, making them farther apart. Thats crap. I thought they were supposed to help but who ever told me that must have been kiddin.

american flag ribbonbaby boyexpecting baby

Lovin_LiL_ViC
    by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:42 AM

Its mainly bc of the bacteria and yeast that breeds in over drive in hot tubs bc of the people and the temp (is what I was told/reseached..have one and couldnt use it =o(   )

The types of bacteria when contracted cause bad infections and can cause preterm labor, in severe, untreated cases death to fetus.

Quoting soulawakening82:

My MW says it's fine, just don't get into a hot tub. I think it's more so the baby isn't surrounded by the hot water, and heating up the amniotic fluid, since in a bath, it won't completely cover your belly.

american flag ribbonbaby boyexpecting baby

Chocolate-LEO
    by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:21 AM

I take a long hot bath every night, and Im ok. My doctor even says that its ok to take them.

pregnancy
    shanamarie
    by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 9:02 AM

I take a 15-30 minute hot bath 2-3 times a week.  My doctor told me that it's fine.

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)