Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how does the gluclose test work again?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:38 PM
  • 13 Replies

it has been 3 years since i had a child, and i am pregnant now and well i forgot everything, lol

but i have to go get the gluclose test at the end of this month and my doc said something about expect to be there for a hour, what does that mean, i serioulsy forgot about how this test works, all i remember is you drink a orange drink, but i dont remember sitting there for a hour. can someone fill me in, please, thanks

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ErikaM27
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:39 PM

drink the nasty liquid wait and hour and then they will draw blood,

luvmybaby430
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:43 PM

oh okay, thanks, i couldnt remember, so if he is checking for anemic, that will show up as well even with drinking that drink? cause i have to get tested for that at the same time.

Quoting ErikaM27:

LauraMisch
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:45 PM

yes they draw your blood after an hour to see how the sugar in that nasty ass orange drink has affected your blood sugar/glucose levels!  this determines whether or not you are becoming diabetic, which they call gestational diabetes.  this is what diabetics do every single day of their lives - test their glucose levels to determine when and how much or how little insulin they may need.  ya know

ashybaby87
Campaign 10 closes May 1! Coupon code WELCOME10 gives my new customers 10% off their first time online order! Online Store: youravon.com/closetsamples
Today at 10:19 AM
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:46 PM

you drink the liquid (which taste like sugar less kool aid to me lol) & then wait an hour then they draw blood & you're done!

Get $6 to sign up for this survey site thats 100% FREE (JOIN NOW)

Click here to learn more

ErikaM27
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Quoting luvmybaby430:

oh okay, thanks, i couldnt remember, so if he is checking for anemic, that will show up as well even with drinking that drink? cause i have to get tested for that at the same time.

Quoting ErikaM27:

well if they draw blood maybe they are checking for that too. It comes out in the blood work. I got my blood work done before though and checked for that. I get my gluclose drink this month too. my sister came out with sugar and she had to retest again and drink it again and had blood drawn 3 times once each hour or something like that.

LauraMisch
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:47 PM

anemia is a different blood test.  there they are checking your hemoglobin count - this measures the level of white/red blood cells in your blood which will indicate to them whether or not you have anemia and or how severe it is

Quoting luvmybaby430:

Quoting ErikaM27:

LauraMisch
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:51 PM

yes, this happened to me with my last pregnancy.  i had to reschedule because my glucose levels were a little high - but that was the purpose in going back to check again - just to be sure - i never went back - i couldn't stand to drink that nasty juice - and i really didn't have the time!  i just kept a close eye on my sugar intake after that!  and i was absolutely fine!  delivered an absolutely healthy and diabetic free baby! :)

Quoting ErikaM27:

well if they draw blood maybe they are checking for that too. It comes out in the blood work. I got my blood work done before though and checked for that. I get my gluclose drink this month too. my sister came out with sugar and she had to retest again and drink it again and had blood drawn 3 times once each hour or something like that.

ErikaM27
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 12:52 PM

Quoting LauraMisch:

yes, this happened to me with my last pregnancy.  i had to reschedule because my glucose levels were a little high - but that was the purpose in going back to check again - just to be sure - i never went back - i couldn't stand to drink that nasty juice - and i really didn't have the time!  i just kept a close eye on my sugar intake after that!  and i was absolutely fine!  delivered an absolutely healthy and diabetic free baby! :)

Quoting ErikaM27:

yeah my sister's test turned out fine when she took it all over again.

luvmybaby430
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:38 PM

so i wonder how they are going to do that, i wonder if they will draw my blood first for anemic and then have me drink that drink wait an hour and test for the gluclose test?

Quoting LauraMisch:

anemia is a different blood test.  there they are checking your hemoglobin count - this measures the level of white/red blood cells in your blood which will indicate to them whether or not you have anemia and or how severe it is

Quoting luvmybaby430:

Quoting ErikaM27:

LauraMisch
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 1:55 PM

well if you haven't been tested for anemia chances are you will have all your blood drawn at the same time. 

Quoting luvmybaby430:

so i wonder how they are going to do that, i wonder if they will draw my blood first for anemic and then have me drink that drink wait an hour and test for the gluclose test?

Quoting LauraMisch:

Quoting luvmybaby430:

Quoting ErikaM27:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)