Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Low platelets, again!

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:31 PM
  • 4 Replies

So, my pcm did my bloodwork last week so I wouldnt have to drive twice to my ob's office in one week and they called me last night to tell me my platelet levels are very low that they want me to go on monday for another blood test...  I hate this, when I was pregnant with my son I was put on medications and had to get blood work every single friday...  My arms looked like I was on drugs!  So, the fact that I've been extremely tired (more than the usual due to pregnancy) and my bloody nose everytime I go out have an explanation...  I guess this pregnancy wont be easier than the first one after all bad

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
My2BabyGirls
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:05 PM

I had this with my first and second, but so far my platelets are holding stong at just above 100,000 and I am about 29 weeks so I am hoping they stay up so I don't have to go back to the Hemotologyst and could possibly get an epidural

Ilovemybbgrl
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:07 PM

aww mama im sorry =( I hope everything turns out alright

Megan214
by Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:13 PM

I had this happen with my DD. I knew that every week I'd end up getting blood drawn. It ended up so low that I couldn't have a eppidural or c-section. They said that it could kill me. (YIKES)

It went back up after but, I actually had blood work done a couple months ago. The doctor thinks that it's something that is normal for me and not related to being pregnant. They did a clot test and I FAILED. Bad... :(   The doctor thinks that a lot of women have this condition but only discover it during pregnancy. (Since they are screening for EVERYTHING) Mention to your doctor that you'd like a clot test done and see if you have the condition. I don't have the packet on hand but can find it tonight if you want me to e-mail the information. Let me know and GOOD LUCK. I know how horrible it feels for those "vampires" to get you every week. :( 

CoastieWifePR
by on Dec. 18, 2008 at 12:49 AM

Thank you guys...  With my first one it got so bad that they wanted to avoid a C section and any unnecessary cuts (thank God) because I could've bleed to death frustrated  My doctor discovered I had it because 1. my history of past hospital visits (almost died when I was 13) and 2. because I had multiple bruises in my arms and legs and she thought my husband was beating me up, so when I said that's not true she asked for blood test and I had my platelets very low...  She told me condition is called immune thrombocytopenic purpura...  I almost couldnt get the epidural because of that...  what a pain!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)