Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Unassisted Birthing (PIOG)

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:54 PM
  • 208 Replies

I want to know why.  Home birth is beautiful but why not have a midwife there?  I truly would like to know the answer. 

HEFFA-26.png image by jodell80   

baby girlbaseballgirl on a swingpregnant belly

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Intended unassisted birthers work hard to get the birth they really want. Why not? :-D

(Midwives can actually increase risks, offer complications, and interrupt the privacy.)

Many women who support home birth have asked me why I and other unassisted birthers object to having a midwife at our births "just in case." Modern physics has proven that the very act of observing something changes it. Birth is essentially an emotional/spiritual/sexual act. And just as most couples would find it hard to relax and have sex with others in the room, many of them feel the same way about birth. Actually, some couples do choose to have sex in labor. When a woman is sexually stimulated, oxytocin pours through her system, stimulating the contractions. Pitocin, which is often administered in the hospital to speed up contractions, is artificial oxytocin.

Not only, however, do some couples find a the presence of a midwife or doctor inhibiting, they also find it unnecessary. Women's bodies were designed to give birth. When a woman is physically and psychologically healthy (free from fear, shame, and guilt), babies can often be born easily. As Grantly Dick-Read, author of Childbirth without Fear writes, "If left alone in labor, the body of a woman produces most easily the baby that is not interfered with by its mother's mind or the assistant's hand. If left alone, just courage and patience are required. Faith, if she is a believer, is the secret to having a healthy baby and being a happy mother."

Some women actually prefer to give birth completely alone. Of course, most of them would say they weren't alone - God, their innerself, or the larger consciousness, was with them, guiding them each step of the way.

Unassisted childbirth is empowering for the woman, her partner, and her baby. Women who have given birth with little or no assistance often describe it as the most fulfilling experience of their lives. With no one around to tell them what to do, when to push, or which position to be in, many women find they know how to give birth.

Unassisted childbirth is free!

Although some women find the presence of midwives or doctors comforting, others find it inhibiting. It is up to each one of us to decide for ourselves who we want to be with us in birth.

If you don't know your options, you don't have any.           ~Korte & Scaer

Mothers need to know that their care and their choices won't be compromised by birth politics.                                                                                            ~Jennifer Rosenberg

jonezy
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:12 PM

idk, only thing i can think of is.......they dont trust the hosp and cant afford a midwife.  i really dont know but i am just taking a stab at it.

jonezy
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:15 PM

very well put!!!  thanks again and again and again!!!!

Quoting doulala:

Intended unassisted birthers work hard to get the birth they really want. Why not? :-D

(Midwives can actually increase risks, offer complications, and interrupt the privacy.)

Many women who support home birth have asked me why I and other unassisted birthers object to having a midwife at our births "just in case." Modern physics has proven that the very act of observing something changes it. Birth is essentially an emotional/spiritual/sexual act. And just as most couples would find it hard to relax and have sex with others in the room, many of them feel the same way about birth. Actually, some couples do choose to have sex in labor. When a woman is sexually stimulated, oxytocin pours through her system, stimulating the contractions. Pitocin, which is often administered in the hospital to speed up contractions, is artificial oxytocin.

Not only, however, do some couples find a the presence of a midwife or doctor inhibiting, they also find it unnecessary. Women's bodies were designed to give birth. When a woman is physically and psychologically healthy (free from fear, shame, and guilt), babies can often be born easily. As Grantly Dick-Read, author of Childbirth without Fear writes, "If left alone in labor, the body of a woman produces most easily the baby that is not interfered with by its mother's mind or the assistant's hand. If left alone, just courage and patience are required. Faith, if she is a believer, is the secret to having a healthy baby and being a happy mother."

Some women actually prefer to give birth completely alone. Of course, most of them would say they weren't alone - God, their innerself, or the larger consciousness, was with them, guiding them each step of the way.

Unassisted childbirth is empowering for the woman, her partner, and her baby. Women who have given birth with little or no assistance often describe it as the most fulfilling experience of their lives. With no one around to tell them what to do, when to push, or which position to be in, many women find they know how to give birth.

Unassisted childbirth is free!

Although some women find the presence of midwives or doctors comforting, others find it inhibiting. It is up to each one of us to decide for ourselves who we want to be with us in birth.

hotmama708
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:19 PM

I am not against it, but I would be so scared to go through that with just my crazy husband with me...

doulala
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:21 PM

ah~  you're so welcome!  :-)

"This Baby" was going to be Unassisted...   but now there is no baby.  IF I ever get a chance to have another child it will probably be born UC.  (Barring any unforeseen medical complications, of course!)

Quoting jonezy:

very well put!!! thanks again and again and again!!!!

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

Forget-me-not
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:22 PM

decided on a  UC because I feel that is is right for us, after almost a year of planning and praying before I even got pregnant I have no doubts about our choice. I feel that I can be prepared for pretty much whatever may come up during my birth and either know how to handle it or know when to transfer. I do not feel my pregnancy needs to be managed or treated....even by midwives

Jennifer, Crunchy Student Midwife, Wife and mother to Hannah 12, Abby 8 and new baby #3 In June. Ask me about freebirthing?

CTMomma1211
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:24 PM

In some states homebirth is illegal, in some states home birth midwives are illegal, some women have been so traumatized by health care providers they would rather do it on their own then put their trust into someone else, some cannot afford to pay for a home birth midwife out of pocket because their insurance carrier will not cover it. Then some women just believe child birth is not a medical event.

I am a 23 year old, BIRTH advocate, mother of Camden, pregnant with my second, due in May, VBAC hopeful, ICAN Supporter, Pro CHOICE, Breastfeeding, outspoken, cesarean hating, birth & postpartum doula, Red Sox loving, Marine Wife, democrat, LIBERAL, Obama Momma.

jonezy
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:29 PM

go for it mama....................well get pregnant then go for it!!

Quoting doulala:

ah~  you're so welcome!  :-)

"This Baby" was going to be Unassisted...   but now there is no baby.  IF I ever get a chance to have another child it will probably be born UC.  (Barring any unforeseen medical complications, of course!)

Quoting jonezy:

very well put!!! thanks again and again and again!!!!

lausta
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:32 PM

I'd be concerned about things such as having the cord wrapped around the neck and all that stuff. I would say that let someone be around...even if they are watching tv or something in the other room and leaving you alone!

My sons cord was wrapped around his neck twice and tightly...it needed to be cut before he could even come out. Things like this can't be blamed on the medical field. Things do happen naturally....and I think it's best to have someone somewhere that can take action if necessary.

But good luck and I hope things go smoothly for your sake and the childs safety!

Pauline3283
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 3:36 PM

I just answered this in another group so I'll just c&p.

I'm having a UC with this baby.  I've had 2 c-sections and 2 very medical hospital vaginal births.  My last child was born at home with a midwife.  Affter he was born I started thinking about a UC.  I was happy with my birth but I don't feel like the midwife really did anything we couldn't have done ourselves.  I don't think birth is a spectator event and I would have really prefered not to have outsiders there. I don't feel like I need assistance to do something my body knows how to do.  When I did get pregnant I realized I really didn't want her there again.  I called a few other midwives and it didn't work out.  After a while I gave up because I really didn't want to hire one. I was calling more because I felt like I had to, not because I wanted to.  So we're having a UP/UC with this baby.

Pauline, homeschooling, non-vaxing, homebirthing, no spanking, anti-CIO, anti-circ, extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, extended rear facing, co-sleeping, baby wearing mom to Christopher, Amanda, Francesca, Zachary, Nicholas and Aaron due in February.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)