Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do all doctors do an ultrasound at the beginning?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:03 PM
  • 36 Replies

I've noticed a lot of people saying that they had an ultrasound at their first appointment. But with my first baby, they didn't do one. I really want an ultrasound to make sure everything is going good, but I don't know if I'll get one or not. I'm wondering if my doctor didn't do one with my daughter because a week before my appointment I had an emergency appointment because they thought I might be having an ectopic pregnancy. So anyway, my question is, do all doctors do an ultrasound at the beginning? Or just some doctors?

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heidi_val
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:03 PM

My doctor won't do one until after 12 weeks.

MommyIvy
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:04 PM

I didnt get one unti 20 wks with either of mine.

PregoDiana
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:04 PM
They only did one for me because my periods were so random, they wanted to see how far along I was. Otherwise, they wouldnt have they said. Then I had another one at my next appt because the doppler didnt pick up the heartbeat, again, they wouldnt have otherwise
Sam is still in hiding!
His reservation in Hotel Uterus expired
Thursday, December 11th!
Please come out so Mommy and Daddy can meet you!
CTMomma1211
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:05 PM

It depends.  If you know your LMP date, they usually do not.

I am a 23 year old, BIRTH advocate, mother of Camden, pregnant with my second, due in May, VBAC hopeful, ICAN Supporter, Pro CHOICE, Breastfeeding, outspoken, cesarean hating, birth & postpartum doula, Red Sox loving, Marine Wife, democrat, LIBERAL, Obama Momma.

SkyBallsMommy
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:06 PM

my doctor would not see me until 8 wks preggo and then they did a really quick ultrasound just to measure to confirm a due date. at that point, i could not even see anything, the baby looked like a tiny dot.  but yeah, my docs office does it @ 8 wks, 12 wks and 20 wks.  unless there is a medical reason to have more ultrasounds, thats all you get

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
pregnancy
mamachristine
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:07 PM

I don't think they'll do one unless there's something they think is wrong...because real early they can't see too much anyway. I had one at 5 weeks because I started to bleed and cramp real bad  and my HCG levels were very low ... they did an internal U/S to see if there was a heartbeat... otherwise I wouldn't have gotten one

nicole4ray
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Well I've had several ultrasounds this year because I have ovarian cysts, so maybe they'll do one because of that. I can't relax until I see my baby and know how many are in there lol. If there's more than one we will definately need to find more money lol.

lomarey
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:08 PM

It all depends on the doctor, all the times that I have been pregnant they did one at the first appointment to get the date set. They check the size and to see if they can get a reading on the heartbeat.

sylviapike26
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:08 PM

NO.  With my first pregnancy I had one at 9 weeks because I had just had two back-to-back miscarriages and they wanted to make sure all was well.  With this one they didn't do one because they told me that my insurance only covers one u/s and they wanted to save it for my 20 week appt.

babies
MomToBeISaMom
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 4:09 PM

With both of my pregnancies, I got one ultrasound at 17-22 weeks.  I don't see the point in the early ultrasound, but if your insurance will cover it, and it makes you feel better, then go ahead and ask for it.

I had my 22 week ultrasound today - FUN!

Natural birth is love, but so is birthing with an epidural!  I know that birthing is not an emergency, I'm not afraid of it, but I'll take that epidural anyway!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)