Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leaking fluid.. then what?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:52 PM
  • 6 Replies

If you're leaking fluid and go to the hospital, get admitted to L'D, do they start you on pitocin right away? What other options are there?

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AandCsmomBrandy
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:56 PM

no they don't start pit right away. it depends on how far along you are and how big the leak is. some leaks seal themselves. if you are not in active labor your OB may have you start walking or try positions to start contractions. pit may be started, but you and your OB decide that.

mommytwins83
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:57 PM

well when my water broke with my 2 yr old.. i was 37 wks, they checked to make sure it was my water then check to see if i was dilated, let me shower then hook me up to monitors and watched how i progressed.. i didnt have piticion... with my twins- my water broke saturday morning and didnt deliver till tuesday cause they had that i was only 33wks.. so they were trying to not push anything.. so they let me go naturally then too no help..usual they want yyou to dliver with in 24hrs..

hotmomof5plus1onthewaykissing

doulala
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 6:58 PM

I suggest you first determine if it is clear & odorless (and depending if you're term), wait to see if you start contractions.   They may/may not start.  Waiting until they are good & intense means baby will be there soon.  *Remember NOTHING inside the vagina after rupturing, though!

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

mom_of2angels13
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:04 PM

I was leaking fluid.  i was dilating very slowly so they stared me on pitocin with my second child. 

doulala
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:14 PM

I was also leaking (ehh--  gushing!) and did not want to add risks so I didn't want any vaginal exams or Pitocin.  I didn't want a cesarean and am aware that my risk would have gone up!      :-(

How DARE Mother Nature question SCIENCE! ~Mike Tymeson

The impossible is often the untried. ~Jim Goodwin

Women's bodies have their own wisdom, and a system of birth refined over 100,000 generations is not so easily overpowered. ~Sarah Buckley

orange4agua72
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 7:20 PM

I was 32 weeks when my water broke with my last pregnancy and they of course tried to stop my labor considering by the time I drove myself to the ER I was having regular contractions about every 4 minutes. I got through almost 2 days and ended up having a c sec because of her position.I'd say they wouldn't put you on it right away if you are full term, it's just one of the signs your body is ready to deliver nothing to be alarmed about!!!  There is just a high infection posibility after it does break, so if you are full term, they are going to wanna get that baby outta there if you haven't started contracting yet!!!!

For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. Psalm 139:13-14

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)