Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about next ultrasound and something that maybe TMI

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:25 PM
  • 18 Replies

I feel really stupid asking this but I keep on forgetting to ask my doctor about it and I am curious.

I am 34 weeks along and I havent had an ultrasound since Sept. I hear her heart beat and feel her move all the time. I just would like to see her again before the big day but I dont know if usually you have another one if everything is going so great. My doctor hasnt told me even an estimate of how much she weighs or anything. I have asked to, its like he avoids that question.

I am sorry if this seems like I am rambling I just dont know the best way to put my question. I guess my question is do I get another ultrasound before I meet her?

My other thing is I found out Tuesday at my doctors appointment that I have to get a vaginal and rectal swab to check for bacteria that some women develope during pregnancy. Is this normal or is my doctor just weird? Sorry if thats too much but I am curious and if its normal why dont others that have gone through this warn newly pregnant women about it because I am weirded out by it. Sorry I just dont feel comfortable having a swab going up my rectum.

Again sorry.

by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Passionwitakiss
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:33 PM

That swabbing you are talking about is group b strep testing and yes most if not all doctors do that around week 36.  I get mine next week too, which is when I will be 36 weeks along.

As far as another ultrasound, you may get one, you may not.  I have had 4 through my pregnancy, one just last week but only because my little one is smaller than she should be.

EL2boys4me
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Some doctors will give you another u/s, some won't. If you're a low risk pregnancy, I doubt you'll get another one.

The swab is group B strep and it's very common to have done. It's not IN your rectum... they just sweep that big QTip from front to back and put it in a tube to be sent to the lab. Nothing goes IN you. It's not a big deal. Nothing goes in you and it's a dry swab. A vaginal exam is a bigger deal and should weird you out more than a GBS swab!

norahsmommy
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:38 PM

the swab is totally normal. and I only had 1 ultrasound with dd#1 and 2 with dd#2 because they found some bleeding in my uterus.  Otherwise I would only have had one.

AMAZINGLY SIMPLE HOME REMEDIES

1. When choking on an ice cube, simply pour a cup of boiling water down
your throat. Presto! The blockage will instantly remove itself.

2. Avoid cutting yourself slicing vegetables by getting someone else to
hold while you chop.

3. Avoid arguments with the Mrs. about lifting the toilet seat by using
the sink.

4. To treat high blood pressure: simply cut yourself and bleed for a few
minutes, thus reducing the pressure in your veins. Remember to use a
timer.

5. A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you
from rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze
button.

6. If you have a cold with a bad cough, take a large dose of laxatives....yo u'll be afraid to sneeze, much less cough.

7. You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't
move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does,use the
duct tape.

8. When confused remember.....everyone seems normal UNTIL  you get to know them.

Daily Thought:

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS. 

bnj03
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:39 PM

thank you...i tried to ask him about it but he was very evasive about it.

i hope i do get to see her again though I am just so dang excited.

EL2boys4me
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:40 PM

well, there's really nothing to go into about the swab. simple, quick, no biggie. Not a lot to explain :)

Quoting bnj03:

thank you...i tried to ask him about it but he was very evasive about it.

i hope i do get to see her again though I am just so dang excited.

jenjobrien
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:41 PM

He probably cant tell you specifically because you really cant tell at this point.  Its only an estimate.  He might know how big the baby is supposed to be at this point but if youre measuring on schedule you shouldnt be worried about it.  They would def. let you know if the baby wasnt big enough.

HotAZMama
by Member on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:42 PM

I just had my 34 week app. this last monday and my doctor said, no more ultrasoundsbadbummer I know....I wanted to see my little guy again too! My doctor said that unless I paid for one of the high tech 3D/4D Ultrasounds that it would be pretty difficult to see him good anyway since there's not much room in there anymore. But I also go in for my 36 week checkup on the 30th and I get to do the Strep B swab to...don't worry it's totally normal, your doctor's not 'funny'.

bnj03
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:42 PM

Reason I am not weirded out by the vaginal exam is because for some reason with my first pap test (way back when) they did a swab. I guess I dont think its any big deal now since I got that weirdness out of the way. And they should have mentioned that it dont go inside because that would have been nice to know lol....thank you

Quoting EL2boys4me:

Some doctors will give you another u/s, some won't. If you're a low risk pregnancy, I doubt you'll get another one.

The swab is group B strep and it's very common to have done. It's not IN your rectum... they just sweep that big QTip from front to back and put it in a tube to be sent to the lab. Nothing goes IN you. It's not a big deal. Nothing goes in you and it's a dry swab. A vaginal exam is a bigger deal and should weird you out more than a GBS swab!

bnj03
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:44 PM

I know disappointing right now getting to see them again before we meet them in person so to speak. We have our swabs done the same day lol

Quoting HotAZMama:

I just had my 34 week app. this last monday and my doctor said, no more ultrasoundsbadbummer I know....I wanted to see my little guy again too! My doctor said that unless I paid for one of the high tech 3D/4D Ultrasounds that it would be pretty difficult to see him good anyway since there's not much room in there anymore. But I also go in for my 36 week checkup on the 30th and I get to do the Strep B swab to...don't worry it's totally normal, your doctor's not 'funny'.

jamiemayz
by on Dec. 17, 2008 at 8:45 PM

I am on my 6th and I had an u/s for everyone of them between 32 and 36 weeks. They check for size and presentation. The swab I have only had done once when I was pregnant with my oldest. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)