Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is 5 1/2 lbs small?

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:53 AM
  • 15 Replies

i had my last ultrasound done at a little over 36 weeks (i'm 38 weeks, 1 day now) and the doctor said the baby was measuring 5 1/2 lbs. i read online somewhere that at 36 weeks, the baby should weigh over 6 lbs. the doctor didn't seem concerned .. she said everything looked great, and my fluid levels were good. does this mean i am going to have a small baby? about how much does a baby grow a week? i know i probably shouldnt be concerned, since the doctor isn't .. but i cant help it. thanks

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sylviapike26
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:54 AM

No not at all.  U/S weight estimates can be off by several lbs either way.  Just think, if the baby is smaller it will just be that much easier during pushing.

babies
smushy79
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:56 AM

It is a little small but not too bad. I had my son at 36 weeks and he was 5 lbs 10 oz., my second son was born at 39 weeks and he was only 6 lbs 14 oz. The doc says I have small babies because that is just my body. So mayeb that is the case with you too. I wouldnt worry about it. I have yet to see how this one ie measuring but I would imagine he will be on the smaller side as well. Dont worry :)

Murph08

The U/S weights are not accurate, at all. At 38 weeks they told me my daughter was 5lbs 13oz....she was born and 39 weeks and was 8lbs 8.7 oz. She either grew super fast or they were totally off, lol.  

2busymomof3

With my first they said around 5 1/2 lbs at 36 weeks also.  He was 8 lbs. 3 oz and I delivered at 39 weeks.  My second, they said he was about 6 lbs at 38 weeks.  He was born at 39 weeks...and he was 8 lbs. 15 oz!  Even if your baby is just under 6 lbs. when you deliver (and you still have a few weeks so I wouldn't worry) that's still a healthy weight.

pregnancy calendar
kdrdibft

I think your doing great.. the weight  you really dont haveto worry about .. you can always breast feed your baby.. which will make them gain weight faster... .

Myspace Pregnancy Countdown Clocks
Myspace Pregnancy Countdown Clocks

SaturnsMom
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM

I was under the impression that even a baby born at 5 1/2 pounds wasnt technically low birth weight or anything.

I do think it would be a little small to be born at 5 1/2 pounds but babies gain alot the last few weeks so I wouldnt worry.

pregnancy week by week

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
PregoDiana
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:23 PM
My 36 week US measured my son at 5lbs, the Dr was slightly concerned and put me semi bed rest, but that was also because I had low fluid and my fundal height hadn't changed since 2 weeks prior, so she didn't know if the baby stopped growing. I delivered at 41 weeks, 1 day and he weighed 7lbs 3oz, still small for 41 weeks, but still ok =)
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Sam
December 19th, 2008
11:33am 7lbs 3oz, 20inches

Nicolle_09
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I wouldnt be worried. I was 33 weeks monday and they took me in for an emergancy c-section because the baby was measuring around 28 weeks, he was only a little over 2 lbs at birth.  So to me I would say that is a healthy wieght.

Lahtaspirit
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:29 PM

My doctor said my baby was under 3 lbs at 35 weeks I had her 3 days later and she was 5lbs 5oz. Perfectly healthy went done to 4 lbs 12 oz. And she still came home with me 2 days later and they said her birth weight was what it should have been for 35 weeks I was only measuring 27 weeks.  So this says 2 things The US can be off a lot. And the baby should be fine even if it is small. Good luck

lil_jenny_28
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:32 PM

That's about the same as my dd. I was induced at 38 weeks and dd was born at 5lb15oz. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)