Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

question about labor

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM
  • 8 Replies
I'm getting induced on Monday [if I don't go before that] and I'm nervous! I was just wondering which do you ladies think was worse the actual contractions or the pushing part? I'm dreading both but pushing a big baby out seems a little scary lol
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:02 PM

It all kinda sucks...I mean, it's hard work.  But, your endorphins will kick in and you'll feel like your in a dreamlike state when it gets to be too bad.  At least that's what happened with me and I even had an epi (although it wore off long before I finally got my dd pushed out!!).

by Member on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I was induced.. and none of it is really fun!  I was always told the pushing was the best part because it felt like a relief.. but I hard the hardest time with the pushing, only because I was sooo exhausted and falling asleep between the pushes.  Just be sure to get plenty of rest.  It's an amazing experience!  Congratulations and Good luck!

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:24 PM

For me, it was the contractions, but I had my epidural on(...BTW you can tell them not to turn it off while you push....)during pushing time.  I pushed for 6.5 hrs and I know there is no way I could have done that without my epidural.  Even though the contractions were uncomfortable and somewhat painful, they were not unbearable.  I got my epidural so I could enjoy my labor and not be Super Bitch to everyone in my room....LOL  Although, I still wasn't all that nice to the midwives in my room, but that is because they were idiots and I didn't want them there in the first place...

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:25 PM

the contraction! i didnt even feel the pushing part. and i did mine all natural not drugs! just keep a level head and try to control your pain through power of mind and you will be fine!

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:26 PM

mine wasn't that bad but i had a wonderful epi lol.(i was induced)  I would say the pushing was the hardest part. I wasn't in pain because of the epi but it was still alot of hard work.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Well, I've not been induced and I hear it's quite a bit different from natural labor.  But for me it was just hard work but not really painful.  The contractions only got painful when I was tense but as long as I was relaxed they were fine.  The pushing part was actually a relief.  You have a lot of pressure and it feels amazing to be pushing that pressure out. 

Every woman and every labor is different but it will be much less painful it you let your body do what it's trying to do and not fight it.  Be as relaxed as possible.  Take some things from home that help you relax, candles, blankets, clothes, music, etc. Good luck.

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:34 PM
I haven't been induced but to me the contractions are the worse part...pushing feels good- it feels good to follow your urges and relieve the pressure...don't get me wrong it hurts like hell too.
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM

I am currently the Mom of five. I am due with #6 in 6 weeks. I didn't have pain drugs with any of them.  I did have to be induced with the last two though. I will tell you the truth. The contractions hurt. Pushing hurts, too. It is mostly the baby coming through the canal that hurts (for the pushing part). With my first one I screamed. With my second and on I knew what to expect and calmly got through it. Don't be discouraged remember your body was made for making and giving birth to babies. The reward is in the wonderful baby you will be holding after all the hard work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)