Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Karo syrup for constipation? PIOG

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:26 PM
  • 15 Replies

My little guy (five weeks old) sometimes squirms and pulls his legs up and grunts and groans while in his bassinet...he doesnt full out cry usually... just some shrieks like he is in pain..... it seems to mostly be around bedtime or in the mornings.... It almost seems like he is constipated..... his spit up has increased too.....

the nurse said to try 1 tbsp karo syrup in 4 oz of water a day to naturally soften his stool.. anyone try this?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmberDR
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:27 PM

yes. the karo dark. it works wonders!

Kim3787
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:30 PM

My son (who is now 4 1/2) has had trouble with constipation since he was 11 days old. When he was still too young for solids, I would put the Karo Syrup in his formula or a bottle of warm water. At around 2 months old I started giving him prune juice and also some stage 1 applesauce. He still has the problem today but he is prescribe a powder laxative to be added to juice or water.

I would say to go ahead with the Karo Syrup but to also have the doctor keep an eye on it. My sons issue is that the muscles down there don't alwasy work like they should.

Kim3787
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:31 PM

I was always told to use the light Karo Syrup (and the one without extra flavors, like vanilla)??

Quoting AmberDR:

omigodfirstbaby
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 1:41 PM

yeah it works also you can try pear juice

kganly
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Now I'm seeing warnings online to avoid it because of infant botulism????

http://www.the-essential-infant-resource-for-moms.com/Baby-Constipation.html

There is one link - scroll down to the part on karo syrup.. and I also saw on Mayo clinic's website to avoid doing this... but the nurse at my pediatrician's office said to try it...

GRrrrr what to do??? :( I just want him to feel better...

addisonsmom3794
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:02 PM

Def. DARK karo syrup

-Medical assistant student-learning all about this in health and nutrition and used it with DD for weeks

Quoting Kim3787:

I was always told to use the light Karo Syrup (and the one without extra flavors, like vanilla)??

Quoting AmberDR:

I am a Fatherless Mother, who has a 2 year old princess and a belly bean on the way, who has been touched by suicide and ovarian cancer, who got married at 20 and is divorcing the same man 3 years later, who is almost a Certified Medical Assistant, and will work full-time, who has Chronic Migraines, a heart condition, and has suffered 2 miscarriages in 2 months,  is a church going Catholic, exclusively breast-feeding mommy, who let's her kids CIO but spoils them rotten, Vaccinates selectively, and would die for family.

honeybee871
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:06 PM

every time i would go visit my grandma when my kids were little if they didn't poop within us being at her house for a few hours she would get out the karo syrup. lol. luckily we didn't visit her very often cuz she lived a few hours away.

it does work tho.

Curllyq
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:10 PM

oh god!  don't give anything but formula or breastmilk to a baby that young:(  They aren't constipated unless the poop comes out hard in little balls.  Formula fed babies can go 5-7 days without pooping, breastfed babies can go 10-14 days.  It's most likely gass he's trying to get moved through.  Corn syrup is disgcusting and awful for you, don't give it to an infant:(

Solids should wait until until 6 months and juice should wait until 9-12 months.

It sounds more like reflux to me.  Or if you are breastfeeding, it could be something like milk in your diet.

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker I'm a natural-birthing, public breastfeeding, attachment parenting, co-sleeping advocating, future home-birthing, cloth-diapering, mom of 2 boys - 10/06 and 3/08. One is circumcised, one isn't, ask me why! (and don't mutilate your poor baby's penis:( ) I tandem nurse.
I'm an open book when it comes to my pregnancies and births. There's nothing you can ask that I won't answer.
Kim3787
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:24 PM

This isn't the case with all babies. My sons pedi. gave me the go ahead to start him on solids at 2 months old and juice was almost immediate given that he was constipated. Everyone has there own opinions about things like this but although none of those things are necessary that young, they can be beneficial to some babies.

Quoting Curllyq:

oh god!  don't give anything but formula or breastmilk to a baby that young:(  They aren't constipated unless the poop comes out hard in little balls.  Formula fed babies can go 5-7 days without pooping, breastfed babies can go 10-14 days.  It's most likely gass he's trying to get moved through.  Corn syrup is disgcusting and awful for you, don't give it to an infant:(

Solids should wait until until 6 months and juice should wait until 9-12 months.

It sounds more like reflux to me.  Or if you are breastfeeding, it could be something like milk in your diet.

nhutchison
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Quoting Kim3787:

Quoting AmberDR:

both of my sons had to have it in every bottle, it is the light syrup that they say to use.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)