Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Extreme Thirst at 33 Weeks

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:57 PM
  • 17 Replies

I've been beyond normally thirsty lately- I just can't seem to get enough to drink. Milk,  juice, water.... I guzzle it all down. I drink so much that there is not much room left in my stomach to eat. I've been relatively thirsty my entire pregnancy, but lately it's gotten extreme. I do not have GD... I was tested at 20 weeks at it was negative. Is anyone else having this problem? What could it be?

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kissmiss213
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 6:47 PM

u were tested at 20 weeks? my dr told me that its not accurate test until after 26 cause the placenta isnt developped enough to get an accurate reading. talk to ur dr to get retested. i mean i was always really thirsty, especially at night, but i never drank so much that i couldnt eat.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
PinkPanther112
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Yeah, at 20 weeks, I passed with flying colors.  The doctor says my measurements are all perfect, so I'm probably not having an overly large baby- which I understand women with GD have problems with. But yeah, I'm so thirsty that I'll down a 20 oz glass of water in 30 seconds, and STILL be thristy. It really is excessive. But I'm not retaining those fluids or swelling up or anything.

kissmiss213
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:23 PM

weird, i would at least bring it up to ur dr. i mean i was itchy with my last pregnancy, and i know that some woman would just get itchy (especially on their tummies), so i ignored it till it was unbearable. i mean i would be up at like 2 am taking showers cause i couldnt sleep cause i was itching so bad. it turned out i had cholistasis and i had to be induced about 2 weeks early, cause my liver was malfunctioning. im not the type that likes to complain about little things, but im glad i did cause my baby is healthy (there was a risk of still birth). if i were u i would just ask ur dr about it. i mean, thirsty is normal, but not like that.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
PinkPanther112
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Wow, that's crazy! My skin itches, too, but I think my itching is normal... not nearly as severe as yours sounds! Yeah, I don't like to complain either... when I DO feel like something is wrong, my dr just kind blows it off. This thirst thing is just driving me nuts! 

Alma_C
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM

You should try drinking gatorade. I've had the same problem and only gatorade seems to quench the thirst.  Your body might need eletrolytes.

uxliteupxMYlife
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 3:06 PM

Oh yeah. Totally normal. I've been drinking water like it's going out of style for MONTHS now. I drink probably 4 bottles of water DURING THE NIGHT!! So I pee a billion times a day. Haha. If you are worried about it there is no problem in calling your doctor, or talking to him/her on your next appointment. But if you are thirsty you OBVIOUSLY need to drink something.

Jelewis88
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I am 24 wks and i drink like no other! i'd rather have something to drink then something to eat (but i do eat don't worry girls lol!) But thats how i am! ...doesn't help that we have to pee all the time now does it lol! I think im getting up about 10 times a night now because i tend to drink alot of liquids...or i have alot of jello...weird we are as pregos!

So ready to meet Greyson Cole

pregnancy due date

PinkPanther112
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one! My DH drinks a lot of Gatorade but I don't just because of the sodium (I don't like to consume too much salt... it causes swelling!) But maybe a glass a day or so might help. I'll still call my doc on Monday and see what she has to say- but I'm very glad I'm not some crazy oddball and that there other pregnant women out there who are just as thirsty as me!

SuperMommy0212
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I have been more thirsty then normal in the past few weeks as well.  I am not extremely thirsty all the time but I def. need to quench my thirst more often.  With my dd I was only 8 weeks pregnnat at this time of year but was extremely thirsty as well.,  Now I am 33 weeks and expereincing almost the same thing. I am wondering if its the weather.  Its winter so the heat is on and therefore making it dryer in the house.

stephiepattie
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 6:47 PM

I'm insanely thirsty as well. No GD either...I drink just about anything I can get my hands on! I don't even pee as much as I think I should with how much I drink!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)