Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gestational diabetes

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:46 PM
  • 3 Replies

My screening test came back high so I need to go in for the 3 hour test to determine wether or not I have it.  My mother had it with 4 of her kids, so i told her that i was nervous and I have really been watching what I eat cause a big baby is the last thing I want! Well she chimes in that my chance of having a still born are really high.  why would she say this, thats horrible!  I dont even know for sure if I have it or not and all her babies were fine, large but fine!

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mamachristine
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Wow... don't listen to ppls comments! What she really should have said is.... let me give you some pointers in case you do have it and some nutritional facts to help control it! I had GD, and it was controlled by diet. What comes out of peoples mouths when you're pregnant is beyond me!!!!...and family, they should know better! Good Luck! you'll be just fine!

KGUndulate
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 2:23 AM

that's a horrible thing for your mother to say...

and i believe that the rate of still born is so low that you shouldn't have to worry about it.

just watch your carb intake and think of it like this 1 serving of carb is about the size of a tennis ball, and that tennis ball is about 15 grams of carb. (this is how my nutritionist explained it to me when I started being watched for developing GD)  If you turn out to be normal from your 3 hour then it's like 2 tennis balls for breakfast 1 for morning snack 3 for lunch 1 for afternoon snack 2 for dinner and then 1-2 for after dinner snack so you don't wake up in the morning craving those carbs.

I've had the 3 hour testing done twice now with this pregnancy and it's hell for preggy ladies to fast I tell the tech everytime it's cruel and unusual punishment for us lol

Good luck and I hope everything goes well... and tell you mom (when she says things to the nature of what you posted) to keep comments like that to herself because it's very insenstive and it bring unnec. pressure and stress on you emotional and physical state right now and that she should be a lil more sensitive to your needs and emotions.

mikenmisty
by on Jan. 4, 2009 at 2:29 AM

if it is left untreated that can be true,( as i know to my sorrow) but as long as you are keeping your sugar levels in check ( and i know you'll get the hang of it, it's easy after the first week) the risk is no higher than anyone else. Plus, when your mom had gd it was much higher risk. Don't worry. I developed full blown type 2 diabetes with my son but was never diagnosed until a week after he was born but my sugar levels were so high I had to be hospitalized. This time, everything is different. I'm sorry she scared you, but her info is a little outdated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)