Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

circumcision

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:23 PM
  • 88 Replies

So we are having a baby boy in about 2 months, and I am debating on whether or not to have him circumcised.  My dh doesnt seem to care much either way.  So for those of you that are having boys I was wondering whether or not you are planning on having them circumcised or not, and why or why not, and those of you that already have boys what did you do and are you happy with your decision.  I kinda dont want to do it cause I dont want to put him through it, but I just dont know.  Thanks!

by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peachay05
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I haven't found out the sex of this baby, but IF he is a boy, I would most def get him circumsized. For infectious reasons, and cleanliness. My SO is, and I am very glad that he is. I don't believe its unneccesary surgery, also I dont believe it traumatizes them...every man I've been with has been, and all of my family members are. To me its the Norm.

ShaniAngel
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:26 PM

another big drama post... but im just going to tell you my opinion nothing more

Personally my son is not circ'd, he is about to be one in a week and we've had no problems with it. I figure if every boy in all of history has it God musta put it for a reason... but to each their own.

also i must say that not being circ'd isnt not dirty, when he's old enough you teach him to clean himself just as you'd teach a daughter... alot of things are "the norm" in america but it doesnt mean they are best or right. bottle feeding is also "a norm" in the US

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

StaceysMom4706
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:27 PM

i'm just about 9 weeks along... so obviously we don't know yet... but if we have a boy, he will NOT get circumsized... his dad isn't, his brother isn't... and insurance won't cover it because its considered cosmetic.

Alexandria

mommy2blake05
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:28 PM

My son is and if this baby is, then he will be cirumsized...not only becasue DH wants it done but because it is the norm for me too.  Never entered my mind not to.  I did ask a friend whose SO is not circumsized and he wnats it done but it more painful to have it done later.... or something..

I dunno... I circumcize becaue DH has the right to at least that and because I've only met like 2 people who aren't

Schleetle
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:33 PM

My sons are both circumsised, and had no problems. We had it done by a urologist though. DH wanted it because he is, and I agreed. My friend has two sons that are not circumsised, and shes never had any problems from that choice either.

georgiarebel85
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:34 PM

i am going to have my twin boys circumcized.. i think its more of a personal choice.

ameee
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:36 PM

First off, I think it's every one's personal decision whether to or not. Second I decided not to have either of my boys done. My mom did not have my brother done and him and his wife just had a baby a couple of months ago.  When I asked him if he was going to have his son circumcised he said probably because he was done and when I told him that mom had said he wasn't he said um... ya I was and I said umm...no you weren't cause mom told me about it when I had my son. So he called my mom and she told him that unless he went and had it done himself he wasn't. He as shocked...LOL!! So needless to say he went 25 years without even knowing he wasn't circumcised...so obviously all the "horror" stories people tell you about cleanliness and being eembarrassed are not true and I'm very happy about my decision.

Just a side note, when I asked the nurse about it after my son was born she told me "if you ever saw it done, you would never do it to your child". My husband was on the fence about it until that point.

But again, I think it's a very personal decision. You just need to do all the research you can and then make the decision that's best for you.

FUNNY MATERNITY, PREGNANCY AND KIDS T-SHIRTS AND GIFTS

WWW.CAFEPRESS.COM/HOTMOMMATEES

gypsydancer7
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I wouldnt circumcise my daughter, and I wouldnt do it to my son. Ask ANY Dr. Circumcision has NOTHING to do with cleanliness or infection- its purely cosmetic. My friend is a nurse at our hospital and has seen circumcisions.....they are VERY painful to the baby (they can often not breathe they are in so much pain). If you ever saw one....you wouldnt ever do it to your child.

Its a personal choice. I couldnt imagine someone cutting up my vagina however.

Let it snow!!! Merry Christmas!!

sylviapike26
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:40 PM

I choose to circumcise my boys.  I work in the medical field and it does prevent health issues later on in life.  They recover quicker as infants so they are not in as much pain as an adult male that has to be circumcised.  My son would have had to be circumcised when he had surgery at 13 months if he hadn't at birth because of the type of surgery it was (orchioplexy).  It is a presonal choice and you should do your own research on it.  Everyone is going to have a million reasons why they did or didn't circumcise and each reason will be different.  Educate yourself on the matter.

babies
mrhjoyce
by on Jan. 3, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Both my boys aren't.  My husband is and he is actually upset by it.  There is no medical reason for it for my boys so we weren't going to do something that major for no reason.  We personally don't believe in removing body parts just because.  But I think it's something that you should do a lot of research on and just know that the claim that it's more "normal" is not true, the rest of the world doesn't do it and now about 50% of American's don't either.  But do your research and really discuss it with your husband and even your doctor.

Have a wonderful day!

happy new year 2009in lovetoddler girlbaseballbackpack

Monica & Toby loving parents to      Mabel,             Samuel,           & Josiah!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured