Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im sure this has been asked a LOT BUT>.......

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:55 AM
  • 9 Replies

I really am at a complete loss as to what to pack my hospital bags with...

I dont need clothes for DH... we have a dog so he will have to come home, plus we live like 2 minutes from the hospital! lol...

I just need stuff for the babys bag, and my bag...

I dont need anything like diapers or anything like that.. again we only live 2 minutes from the hospital...

Thanks ladies!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Vandyswife
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:59 AM

BUMP

lajoy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:59 AM

There are a lot of checklists out there. I packed my bag and I just brought an outfit for me and one for baby. Extra blankets for baby. Toothbrush, shampoo, lotion, etc. Camera.

That's it!

We also live like 3 minutes from the hospital and my DH will be sleeping at home. We have 2 other daughters and 2 dogs at home and DH has sleep apnea so he MUST sleep in a bed with his machine on.

I don't plan to be at the hospital long, so I don't feel the need to overpack.

shining_star
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:03 PM
purvislets
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:09 PM

What I missed the most were the everyday items:  hairbrush, toothbrush and paste, my shampoo and conditioner, makeup (if you want to look nice in your hospital pics LOL).  You may also want to consider bringing some comfy clothes to change into.  The hospital gowns get old after a while and it's nice to feel more like a person and less like a patient.  Just make sure the outfits are ones you won't mind getting rid of in case of an accident.  Other than that, you'll want any cameras, extra film/memory cards, boppy or nursing pillow if you have/want one, and a cute outfit to bring baby home in.

KatieFlower
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Heres what I brought-

2 tshirts

2 pajama pants,

loose or nursing bra

outfit for baby to come home in

toothbrush

shampoo

soap

money

I think thats it

oh yeah and magazines and i brought a gameboy

Mommy2BeFeb2009
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:25 PM

It is cold here, so I packed

• 1 flannel blanket (the hospital sends one home as well)
  • 1 outfit for baby
  • 1 outfit for me
  • breast pads
  • 1 bottle (if the need arrises and I need to feed him with a bottle, I want one that I will be using when I pump so he can get use to the nipple)
  • toothpaste
  • shampoo
  • conditioner
  • soap
  • hand sanitizer (I go no where without it)
  • tooth brush
  • hair brush

I live like 5 minutes from the hospital so anything else my SO can get.

Proud Mommy to Samantha 4 years old
Eagerly Awaiting AUSTIN JOSEPH!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
jenjobrien
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:29 PM

For labor

• Your birth plan.

• Your insurance card and any hospital paperwork you need.

• Your eyeglasses, if you need any. Even if you usually wear contacts, you'll probably need or want to take them out at some point during your stay.

• Toiletries. Include items you might want during labor and your postpartum stay, such as lip balm, a toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant, a brush and comb, and makeup, if it's important to you. Hospitals will have soap, shampoo, and lotion, but you might prefer your own brands. Don't forget a hair band and barrettes, if you think you might want them.

• A bathrobe, nightgown, slippers, and a couple of pairs of socks. Hospitals provide gowns for you to use during labor and afterward, but most will allow you to wear your own clothes if you prefer. Choose something loose and comfortable that you don't mind getting ruined.

You'll need to wear a gown instead of pants so that your practitioner can check your cervix. Choose one that's either sleeveless or has short, loose sleeves so your blood pressure can be checked easily and so you can slip the gown off without difficulty if you want to change and have an IV in place.

You might also want to bring your own slippers and robe for walking around during the early stages of labor. If you don't want to risk soiling your robe, you can ask for a second hospital gown to wear as a robe to cover your backside.

• Something light to read, if you're so inclined. (This might be especially helpful if you're heading to the hospital to be induced and might be there quite a while before you have any serious contractions to deal with.)

• Massage oils or lotions, music, an extra pillow, whatever you need to help you relax. (If you do bring your own pillow, be sure to use a patterned or colorful pillowcase so it doesn't get mixed up with the hospital's.) Consider bringing tennis balls or a rolling pin in case you have back labor and need them for massage.

• Talismans, a picture of someone or something you love, anything you find reassuring.

• Money for parking and change for vending machines.

• A camera/video camera with memory card and batteries (or film or tape). Someone has to document the big event! (Note: Not all hospitals allow videotaping of the birth itself, but there's usually no rule against taping during labor or after the birth.)

Postpartum

• A fresh nightgown, if you prefer to wear your own.

• Snacks! After many hours of labor, you're likely to be pretty hungry, and you don't want to have to rely on the hospital's food. So bring your own — crackers, fresh or dried fruit, nuts, granola bars, or whatever you think you'll enjoy. A bottle of nonalcoholic champagne might be fun for celebrating, too.

• A nursing bra, breast pads, and maternity underwear. Chances are, whatever underwear you do wear the first few days will get stained, even with sanitary pads (which the hospital provides).

• Your address book and prepaid phone card or cell phone. After the baby's born you'll want to call family and friends to let them know the good news. Some hospitals don't allow cell phones to be used in the labor and delivery area, so you may want to ask about it ahead of time.

• A going-home outfit. Bring something roomy and easy to get into (believe it or not, you'll probably still look 5 or 6 months pregnant ) — along with a pair of flat shoes. The last thing you'll be worrying about when you go home is whether your outfit is fashionable.

For your baby

• An infant car seat. You can't drive your baby home without one! In fact, you'll want to have the seat properly installed ahead of time, and you'll want to know exactly how to correctly buckle in your baby.

• A going-home outfit (one-piece stretchy outfits are easiest) and a snowsuit if it's very cold. Include a pair of socks or booties if the outfit doesn't have feet.

• A receiving blanket (a heavy one if the weather's cold)

• A cap (although they'll usually give you one at the hospital)

• Baby nail clippers or emery board.

AmberDR
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:36 PM

The thing to remember is not to OVER pack, which is exactly what I did. All I really needed is

camera (with battery charger)

cell (with charger)

makeup

travel sizes of shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste/brush,etc

hairbrush

couple pairs of comfy panties that you may have to throw away (the hospital will give you some mesh kind, but you may want your own...also remember there's always a chance you could end up with a c-section. all the panties i brought to go under my belly, but i really needed some to go above my incision....sent mom to the store for them)

one or 2 pairs of pj's (again, you may have to toss them)...with my c-sec, i was sooo content with staying in my hospital gown until the next to last day when i put on my nursing gown

nursing bra if you plan on nursing

for the baby all you really need is a going home outfit (or two if you can't decide)

boppy pillow

GOOD LUCK

gacgbaker
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Snacks for you for after baby comes, and some of daddy's favorite too!

Breastfeeding Pads and Maxi Pads

Phone or calling card to call those relatives that live far away

Extra Change for vending machines, or whatever else might come up

Book to read, or something else to entertain you when you have no visitors or are waiting for labor to really get going

Baby Book, in case you want to fill some of it out

Camera and batteries

Clothes for you:
Socks
Robe
PJ's- they have some you might want to use because of the bleeding, but just in case
Going home clothes, remember you won't be able to fit into your old clothing right away
Underwear
Bras
Extra outfit just in case you don't want to wear PJ's the whole time
Hairbrush
Make up (if you want

Toiletries- for you and babies daddy in case he wants to stay

Extra clothes for daddy

Baby Clothes:
Going home outfit
Back up gong home outfit
Socks
Onesies

Fully stocked diaper bag:
Wipes
Extra outfits
pacifier (if you want to use one)
Bottles
Formula (depending on if you will use it or not)
Diapers
BurpClothes

Car Seat

storkbusy momnurse

Got little ones or expecting one?  Check out these groups!
Pregnanc
y, After Pregnancy: Babies & Toddlers, Children's Health Issues

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)