Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Glucose Testing

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:08 PM
  • 14 Replies

Okay so my doctor just called to tell me that I failed my glucose test.My sugars are way too high.So I go in for my 3 hour glucose test on Monday.Im worried!I dont know what all this means.They didnt really explain all of this to me.Does anyone know what is going on?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kingandqueen103
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I had to do the 3 hour test with my first pregnancy b/c I failed my one hour.  It could be anything from something you ate beforehand spiking your levels to possible gestational diabetes.  They are doing the 3 hour to check for gestational diabetes.  Don't worry too much-- a lot of people (myself included) fail the one hour, but pass the 3 hour.  Just be forewarned, the 3 hour test is a bit brutal as you have to fast beforehand & it is just a rough 3 hours.  Let me know if you have any other questions!  Good luck!

JessieOdee
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Eehh....those 3 hours are not fun! Don't worry too much. I had to take the 3 hour with both of my pregnacies and the results came back fine. So, hopefully yours will too. :)

sparklebug86

First of all, those tests arent exactly accurate. The glucose testing is to find out if you have Gestational Diabetes which is a type of diabetes that you only get while pregnant. The three hour test means that you will drink more of the sugary liquid and they will pull your blood every hour (total of 4 times) and sent it off to the lab for testing. If you fail, they will put you on a strict diet to cut out sugar and carbs but, if you take care of yourself once the baby is born, you can return to your normal diet. It causes few problems for the baby but, one common problem is that your baby may be larger than normal (10 lbs etc...) but thats not always the case.

MyTickerScript.com Ticker

AnaMaria624

I have never failed before so im not much of a help. I do know in another group im in a could of people failed there first one but then passed the second.

**Proud Stay At Home Mommy!** 

preview image
                                    Baby number 2...... Jameson Cole!

vickster988
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Okay so if I fail the 3 hour test do I have to take insulin?Sorry if I seem kinda lost but no one I know personally has ever failed the test.I mean Im upset at myself bc Im not overweight,I havent even gained the recommended weight.Im under.So the baby is okay but Im worried.I feel like a bad mommy-to-be bc I failed the test.I know it seems silly but I guess its the hormones.....

kingandqueen103
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:21 PM

First of all, you are not a bad mommy-to-be!!!  It's definitely the hormones, I was upset when I failed mine too.  As far as I know, it will just be changes made to your diet (watching your sugar/carb intake).  It's not anything you're doing, sometimes pregnancy can just cause all these changes & your body may just be having trouble processing sugars.  But just get through the 3 hour test & then your doctor will let you know if you need to do anything special if you fail the 3 hour. 

Quoting vickster988:

Okay so if I fail the 3 hour test do I have to take insulin?Sorry if I seem kinda lost but no one I know personally has ever failed the test.I mean Im upset at myself bc Im not overweight,I havent even gained the recommended weight.Im under.So the baby is okay but Im worried.I feel like a bad mommy-to-be bc I failed the test.I know it seems silly but I guess its the hormones.....

kellerz06
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:28 PM

well, this is my second pregnancy, and with both of them i failed the 1 hour glucose test, and passed the 3 hr one... so, try not to freak out too much...

the three hour ones are not very fun at all.. make sure to bring a book with you.. dont eat anything like 12 hours beforehand, all you can drink is water, and you cant even chew gum (i learned that one the hard way). pretty much, they are gonna draw your blood when u first get there, then have you drink that nasty sugar stuff... then an hr later, they will draw ur blood again, and then an hour later they will do it again...

pregnancy calendar

JessieOdee
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:32 PM

My cousin failed hers and did have to give herself shots everyday throughout her pregnancy. I'm assuming that the shots were insulin...

Quoting vickster988:

vickster988
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Thanks everyone.I feel better.

virgobaby1978
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:27 PM

I did the 3 hour test with my last baby and i was in the same boat as you No one explained it to me. What happened is they had me fast they drew blood and then made me drink the glucola and then an hour later did another blood test, then made me wait another hour and another blood test and then an hour after that did one final draw. They left the iv needle in my arm so they didn't have to keep poking me. Just make sure you do what they tell you too. I passed the 3 hour test. Make sure you take something to read or something cause it's a long 3 hours.

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)