Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stretch and Sweep Question...

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:11 PM
  • 4 Replies

For those who have had this procedure done.... I am 39 weeks and I have been 5 cm and 90% effaced.  I went to the DR this morning in the hopes that he would do an amnio, but baby was not co-operating... apparently my placenta is now floating and in the front where it has been in the back, but that is a whole other issue.  He decided to stretch my cervix and sweep my membranes.  He said I am having back contractions but with the majority of my baby weight pressing on my back I am not feeling them (my back feels like a Brick Board all the time).  Any how, I know that cramping and slight blood are to be expected.  He said there is a 70% chance the stretch and sweep will work by Monday.  I have this cramp that does not go away in my front, so I know that is not contractions since it is constant.

So, my question is, how many of you have had this done, did it work and how long after the procedure did you go into labor?

Proud Mommy to Samantha 4 years old
Eagerly Awaiting AUSTIN JOSEPH!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Mommy2BeFeb2009
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Bump.... No One

Proud Mommy to Samantha 4 years old
Eagerly Awaiting AUSTIN JOSEPH!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
kellerz06
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:36 PM

well, i dont know about the sweeping part of it.. but my doctor had stretched my cervix with my first, because i had developed pre e overnight, and was four cms dialated... so, he did that, then sent me to hospital, but we found out there that baby was breech, and i had to have a c-section...

it was still quite a few hours before i had the c-section, but i never started having contractions...

pregnancy calendar

jenjobrien
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:37 PM

My friend had it done and she went into labor 2 days later.

sparklebug86
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 12:37 PM

I havent had that done (not far enough along) but i have read many posts on here about it and some moms said it worked for them...some even went into labor the same day and other moms said it didnt work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)