Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ultrasound for face

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:38 PM
  • 9 Replies

Does anyone know why they want to see the face so bad? I know like cleft Palate, but is that the main reason? At 18 wks they said they couldn't get a good view and at 22 wks she was turned towards my back face down or something so I have to have another one at 26 wks. Anyone??

Proud wife to Jeff~  Mommy to Lainey* expecting another little one April 30th!stork

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
babycakes041903
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM

The measure the nasal bone to check for Down's Syndrome. They can honestly tell a lot from seeing the face. It's just so they can prepare themselves and you as much as possible.

sparklebug86
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:41 PM

WOW I did not know that! My dr didnt say anything about the nasal bone at my 19 weeks sono.

Quoting babycakes041903:

The measure the nasal bone to check for Down's Syndrome. They can honestly tell a lot from seeing the face. It's just so they can prepare themselves and you as much as possible.

MyTickerScript.com Ticker

nicolea86
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:41 PM

they did that at my u/s at 19 weeks....they didnt schedule another u/s yet though.

WheelersWife88
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:44 PM

They couldn't see the face at my 20 week ultrasound so Im having another one done next week. I will be 32 weeks. My midwife said the reason was to check for cleft lip/palate but didn't mention anything else.

NestBaby Pregnancy Ticker
roodae_momma
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:57 PM

they check the lips and nose and some other stuff... when i had my 20 week ultrasound they didnt get the measurements on the face so they had to schedule another one...i know they check for cleft palate...

pregnancy week by week

baby

baby
AmaliaD
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:59 PM

that doesnt make me feel better!!! i have to have another us on fri to look for the face too, they saw it at 15 weeks but needed to measure at 20 weeks and they couldnt get him to turn now i am 24 weeks and thye will look 4 it again... glad to hear i am not the only one... scared to hear the reasons to need to see it!!!!!!!!!

kaciewor
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Quoting AmaliaD:

that doesnt make me feel better!!! i have to have another us on fri to look for the face too, they saw it at 15 weeks but needed to measure at 20 weeks and they couldnt get him to turn now i am 24 weeks and thye will look 4 it again... glad to hear i am not the only one... scared to hear the reasons to need to see it!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't be to scare about it. Sounds like my situation. I think it is pretty standard. Are the ultrasound pics they gave you good? Mine I got like one each time and they were horrible! Sad!

Proud wife to Jeff~  Mommy to Lainey* expecting another little one April 30th!stork

sparklebug86
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:07 PM

I wouldnt worry. at 15 weeks the measurement wouldnt be too accurate which is why they would do it again at 20. Thats typically why most doctors wont tell you the gender until around 19-20 weeks, since they can check everything at the same time. Since your little one wouldnt turn at 20 weeks they have to do it at your next appt just to be sure.... I dont think anything is wrong at all.

Quoting AmaliaD:

rufusshu
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:51 PM

I don't remember them being that eager to see the face.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)