Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting your membranes stripped

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM
  • 10 Replies

I've heard about membranes getting stripped. Has anyone has this done? What is your experience with it??

pregnancy

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jazzyjae
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:53 PM

*bump*

pregnancy

allyssa_beth
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:55 PM

I want to know too. My Dr. wants to do it at my next appt. and I'm not sure if I want to.

jazzyjae
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:59 PM

well, i heard it can induce labor. i just wanted to see if it did for other women, or if they had a bad experience with it.

pregnancy

vinsmommy11306
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:01 PM

I had my membranes stripped 3 different times with my son and nothing ever happened.  I ended up being induced later that week.  But my cousin had it done and went into labor that same night so I guess it just depends on how ready your body is.  It is very uncomfortable though!

omigodfirstbaby
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:03 PM

I had my membranes stripped last wednesday. Its not painful just really uncomfortable. there are 3 possible out comes of stripping your membranes the first being it can cause you to go into labor the second being that you will have same strong contraction but will not cause you to go into labor and it won't do anything. the reason behind having membrane stripping is that it will make your body product prolactin and will help ready you cervix for labor. with me i had contractions all night long progressively getting stronger and closer together and that was it. I have another Dr. appt tommorow and am going to have it done again.

Leslie120
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:05 PM

I had mine done a week ago, I'm still here...pregnant :)

It's a really simple and painless (in my opinion) procedure. While the doctor is checking your cervix they will insert a finger or two into it (you have to be dilated to get it done by the way, I was 3 cm dilated) and sweep around the cervix in a circular motion. It feels a tiny bit uncomfortable but it's really quick. I spotted for 3 or 4 days afterwards, but it didn't help put me into labor!

Just ask if you wanna know anything else about it :) I can fill you in.

Good luck!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday TickerLilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Murph08
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:06 PM

I had mine done after being induced. It was DEFINITELY painful. Worse than my contractions. Not sure if it hurt because I was already in labor but I really don't want it to happen again.

lovemy918
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:07 PM

It felt like a rough exam...caused some spotting...and cramping....not sure if it would have actually worked or not, becuase I was being induced the next day. BUT it did take me from 2cm to 4cm over night and 20% to 100%....GL

Proud Selectively Induced Mom of a HEALTHY formula fed, Huggies wearing, fully Vaccinated, Crib Sleeping, Table Food eating, Brown Eyed Princess.  Does this make me a bad mom?  I dont Think So.

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

ttc metformin blinkie ttc pcos blinkiemorning sickness blinkie

Micah1016
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I had my membranes stripped, it was a let down. lol. I still had to be induced a week later and it was uncomfortable. Its kinda like an intense vaginal exam. Its worth a shot though.

Mommy2BeFeb2009
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I had mine stripped this morning as well as my cervix stretched.  It is a bit uncomfortable, but I have been starting to feel some irregular contractions.  My DR has given me a 70% chance that I will go into labor prior to Monday, so I will keep you posted.

Proud Mommy to Samantha 4 years old
Eagerly Awaiting AUSTIN JOSEPH!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)