Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Training with no such luck (no negativity please)

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:37 PM
  • 12 Replies

My 3 year old evan was doing such a great job at potty training! He is now going back to calling his pull-ups diapers, and doesnt want to go in the potty at all. He has been sick 4-5 times this winter and i understand it's uncomfortable to try something new when he's achy but this is so hard! I have another baby coming in May/june and I can't be buying diapers for 3! I wanted to get him potty trained and then train my 2 year old! Diapers are way too expensive and these boys are ready they are just FIGHTING it....I keep calm and do everything i have by getting advice, but i work full time and it's not a consistant schedule.....I dont have any more clue as of what to do.....maybe just take away pull-ups, i've tried but it is too much to handle with all the laundry i can't keep up on with training, cleaning, working full time, having all these things on my plate at once was VERY unexpected and i am trying my hardest i just dont know what else i can do! PLEASE HELP! I'm DESPERATE! TIA

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:40 PM

We can't force the muscles/sphincters into maturity.  But by purchasing cloth diapers you'll be saving money, it'll be healthier for him, and will help him learn to use a toilet faster.  Cloth diapers are really luxurious, anyway!

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

virgobaby1978
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:41 PM

My little girl is going to be this saturday and she is showing no interest what so ever in potty training and I am really hoping to get her done by the time her little baby brother/sister gets here. 3 in diapers will be to much. I did cloth diapers with my oldest and I will never use them again, that is more time consuming than I have right now anyways.

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

bezark
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:41 PM

My sister has 5 kids, and she's always just taken the diapers away when she felt it was time. For the boys, she still kept them in pull-ups at night, but that's about it.

MAMA-MANDI
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:43 PM

I started potty training my lil boy ay 2 and a half and by the time he was 3 he was poptty trained. It takes time and patience mama don't worry he'll get use to it, you just have to be persistant.

Mandi
nicolea86
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I think my major problem is that i dont know what kind of consistancy and schedule they are getting when im at work since there are 2 different people that have them when im working, their daddy (tells me he takes him) and then my grandma (she potty trained me and my brother at 21 months so i know she does it) So it's just kind of a split thing where i think the only way is to take the pull-ups away but i just dont know how im going to be able to handle ALL of this cleaning and everything else. I'll just have to DO it.

threesacharm29
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:26 PM

One thing I did with my oldest was put her in panties, then put a pull-up on top in case of accidents. That way, she would feel the discomfort of the wet panties and have less mess for me to clean up! Of course, you still have the laundry, but oh well. Can't get past that when you are training. I think that kids will do what you let them do. If they know that going in the potty is the only option, they will eventually do it. That has been my experience, anyways.

other_mother
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:30 PM
I know exactly what you mean. My 2 year old ss was doing wonderfully on toilet training and then just quit. He went one full weekend without accidents, now he screams if you put him on his toilet and refuses to wear anything but diapers. One thing we did that has helped a bit is buy him a special toy that he really wanted. He gets it as long as he stays dry. If he has an accident, we take it away until he goes on the toilet again. The results are still mixed but he's doing better. We are also dealing with the fact they dh and I both work full time, his mother doesn't do anything with him when he is at her house, and he goes to daycare 2 days a week, dh's parents watch him 2 days a week, and his mom's parents watch him 1 day a week. There is absolutely no consistency.
pregnancy week by week
virgobaby1978
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:31 PM

They have some potty training watches for the little ones to wear I have one but haven't used it yet. I need to find it. Just a thought. You can change the time on it so they have to try after 15 min., 30 min. etc.

Quoting nicolea86:

I think my major problem is that i dont know what kind of consistancy and schedule they are getting when im at work since there are 2 different people that have them when im working, their daddy (tells me he takes him) and then my grandma (she potty trained me and my brother at 21 months so i know she does it) So it's just kind of a split thing where i think the only way is to take the pull-ups away but i just dont know how im going to be able to handle ALL of this cleaning and everything else. I'll just have to DO it.

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

allieC1126
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Try adding some kind of excitement or incentive to the training.  One of my friends told her daughter that she needed to give her diapers to Santa this year so that he could give them to other babies that couldn't afford them.  Then they put the leftover diapers in a basket and left it out for Santa.  Now she reminds her when she asks for them that Santa needed them for the other babies and that she is a big girl.  She has been doing great with it.  Same can be applied to getting rid of a pacifier.  Since it isn't Christmas, maybe saying some sort of fairy needs to take the diapers?  Maybe if you make it intriguing or exciting for him it will make him more apt to want to do it.  Hope this helps!

Ultrasound @ 15w 5d... It's a boy!

zgirls009
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM
I'm a nanny and have found that positive reinforcement works great. I keep a little baggy of m&m's with me and when we go potty (about once an hour) and she actually goes, she gets a few M&M's. If she doesn't go, we sit and read a book and then she gets down and washes her hands anyway. We do this every hour and she has no accidents with me, but has accidents on days im not there. It's a learning process, but we're making headway. Today she actually TOLD me when she had to go, it was nice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)