Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does Water Breaking = 911 (emergency)???

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:12 PM
  • 61 Replies

I am 10 weeks from my due date and have been trying to get together all my call list and packing list...  I got to thinking what I was going to do if my water broke while my hubby was at work.  (He works 45 minutes).  When your water breaks do you have to go to the hospital right NOW?  or do I call my hubby and wait for him to come home?  If it happens while I am out are people going to try to call 911??  (I hate ambulances!!)   Thanks ladies!!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
doulala
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:14 PM

No, I waited over a week.

What color is it, does it have an odor?

What position is baby?

"The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works--"

Ask this of our maternity care system, as well.

"I am a lefty, get used to it"

daydreaminmom

USUALLY you have plenty of time to get yourself and things together and get there without a hurry. Heck MOST women don't even have their water break before labor! Only 13% do. Mine broke with my son but not with my daughter.
Unless you notice the fluid is tinged with color (yellow, green, black or red) or smells bad, you have time but I would still "hurry" but not rush.... if that makes sense?

hurleydoll18

When your water breaks, it leaves you prone to infection so it is best to get to the hospital as soon as possible.  My water didn't break completely.  It was just leaking and that is when I started getting contractions as well.  We went straight to the ER.  If the situation in question happened, I would call the nurse and see what they recommend.

mommy_of_many

It would depend on the situation.  Is this your first?

Cynthje

No. As long as there are no signs of infection it isnt an emergency at all.

jenjobrien

No, if your water breaks its not a 911 emergency unless your contractions start coming one on top of another and you dont think youll make it to the hospital in time.  You can usually wait a little while.

MAMA-MANDI
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I would get to the hospital ASAP but i'm pretty sure you have 24 hours to deliver the baby after your water breaks.

Mandi
Leslie120
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Most likely you can call your husband and wait for him to get home. Contractions will pick up quickly after your water breaks (in most cases) but I would say typically you still have at least a couple hours before actual delivery. Also there's not a strong risk of infection until your water has been broken for 24 hours.

And no, if it breaks while out in public I doubt anyone would call 911 unless you asked them too :)

Good luck!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday TickerLilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Miss-Baby-Baker
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Well, I would say no, you don't have to call 911 right away but then again every woman's labor is different. Some progress faster than others. If your husband works 45 minutes away and your water breaks, I think you should be fine...I also don't think strangers are going to want to call 911 if it breaks in public.

jbardwell
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:16 PM

I wouldn't think you had to go to the hospital right now if it happened.  When my water broke, it was a trickle, like I peed on myself, but the more I moved the more it would trickle.  I called the hospital and they told me to lay down for 30 min and if it didn't stop to come in.  I was in no hurry, but got there within the hour.  I didn't have contractions that I could feel so it was no biggie to me. 

Just stay calm and everyone around should do the same.  You know what you need.

Jennifer

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)