Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Old wives tales...

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:05 PM
  • 22 Replies

I found a book once that had a bunch of the whole "if you are this then you are having this" old wives tales in it but I can't find it anywhere plus I have no clue what it was called. I have looked online but nothing interesting comes up. Does anyone know any of them? I would like to do it just for fun.

I know some of them went to the effect of

If your husband wears boxers you having a....

If you grew a wide bottom while pregnant you are having....

If you legs are hairier you are having....

But I never remember what goes to what.. If you know any of them please post so we can compare and have a good laugh...

pregnancy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sparklebug86
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:10 PM

here is one and I think it has one proven for the most part....

If you carry in the front, its a boy, if you spreadout its a girl

Also, apparently if you had sex from behind its more likely to be a boy then a girl and the reason for that is because it helps the boy sperm to travel faster than the girl sperm. Boy sperm naturally is slower than girl sperm. Its a scientific fact but, they arent exactly able to prove it.

RustedRalncoat
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Well I am not far enough along to know how I am carrying... Darn keep em coming...

Quoting sparklebug86:

here is one and I think it has one proven for the most part....

If you carry in the front, its a boy, if you spreadout its a girl

Also, apparently if you had sex from behind its more likely to be a boy then a girl and the reason for that is because it helps the boy sperm to travel faster than the girl sperm. Boy sperm naturally is slower than girl sperm. Its a scientific fact but, they arent exactly able to prove it.

pregnancy
virgobaby1978
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Here is a few I found I am still looking.

1 carrying a baby high is a girl, low is a boy
2 a boy's heart rate will be under 140, a girl's is over.

3 take a necklace with a pendant and hold it over your hand, a circle is a girl and back and forth is a boy.

4 craving something sweet is a girl, sour is a boy.
5 early morning sickness means it'll be a girl
6 you sleep with the pillow to the north it'll be a boy, to the south will be a girl
7 if your husband/significant other puts on weight it will be a girl.
8 If your feet are colder now you'll be having a boy.
9 Your urine is bright yellow means you'll have a boy.
10 If your nose is spreading during the pregnancy it'll be a boy, stays the same it's a girl.
11 If you look like a basketball it will be a boy, if you look like a watermellon you are having a girl
12 craving fruit is a girl, craving meat is a good sign to having a boy.
13 If you have scrawny looking hair, it'll be a girl. Luscious hair is a boy.

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

ms.angel221
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:13 PM

here's one for u.... If your nose SPREADS across your face, your havin a BOY!!!

Angel

RustedRalncoat
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:14 PM

I always thought the nose thing was opposite??? All my friends who had girls got wide noses and I didn't with my son... Hmmmmm

Quoting virgobaby1978:

3 take a necklace with a pendant and hold it over your hand, a circle is a girl and back and forth is a boy.

6 you sleep with the pillow to the north it'll be a boy, to the south will be a girl
10 If your nose is spreading during the pregnancy it'll be a boy, stays the same it's a girl.
11 If you look like a basketball it will be a boy, if you look like a watermellon you are having a girl

pregnancy
katzmeow726
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Girls heart rates tend to be about ten points higher in the womb.  However there is proof slowly coming out about that.  I'm having twins (we find out the sex in two weeks) and one heart rate is 140 one is 150...perhaps boy and girl?   We're hoping for that since they are fraternal! 

Another one I heard (and boy is it silly) is that if you get into a bath and the water covers your belly button, the baby will drown.

The weirdest one is that if your pubic hair grows thicker and longer during pregnancy you are having a boy...now that was weird.

virgobaby1978
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:17 PM

The one about the boxers if the dad wears boxer it will increase his chance for a boy.

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

Night_Roane
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM

all those were true for me except the 1st. I'm not sure about the pillow or hair.

Quoting virgobaby1978:

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Night_Roane
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:20 PM

My MIL told me I had to wear a paperclip during an eclipse or it would "hurt the baby"

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
jamiemayz
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:22 PM

I have heard that...

If you actually start looking less attractive (not glowing as much, duller hair, and hairier body) you'll be having a boy. Something about his hormones mixing with yours???

But if you are radiant and more beautiful it will be a girl.

I am on my sixth. I must say this does work a little. I found that I have far more skin blemishes when pregnant with boys then with girls. My hair status doesn't change though. Not on my head or other parts. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)