Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

renting a breast pump (advice would be lovely!)

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM
  • 23 Replies

if i plan on renting a breast pump from the hospital, what all do i need to do? should i call ahead and reserve one or something? if so, how far in advance (if you say more than 9 days, i'm screwed, lol)? how much do the rental fees usually run?

i plan on renting one for the first month or two before i go out and get my own (i was planning on getting the medela pump in style advanced, so if anyone has used it, is it a good one?) just to be sure that 1. i can breastfeed and 2. if i will breastfeed.

another option is instead of renting one for the first couple of months, would it be a better option to just go out and get a manual pump to use in the beginning?

thanks ladies!

pregnancy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichaelMommy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:20 PM

if you are on wic they will let you rent a pump for little to nothing.  also i have that pump and we love it we have been going great for almost 6 months now with it.

klaniro
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:23 PM

nope. not on wic. not on anything at all except united healthcare insurance.

Quoting MichaelMommy:

if you are on wic they will let you rent a pump for little to nothing.  also i have that pump and we love it we have been going great for almost 6 months now with it.

pregnancy
aecooper
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I rented a breast pump, but I didn't reserve one.  My daughter had a hard time latching on because she wasn't getting enough milk.  You can call your hospital to see what their protical is about renting a breast pump.  I paid around $60 a month.  All that we needed was a credit card (we used our visa debit card.) 

aphrodite7400
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:27 PM

my hospital rents them for like a dollar a day.  and my hospital you dont need to call in advance, just after you deliver, make sure u tell the DR or nurse that you would like to rent one. they will help u out

Kissybratzmom
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Do you qualify for WIC tho? I rented one from them for free and my OB actually gave me a prescription for a Medela breast bump and the insurance covered it.

shellbell75
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 6:34 PM

I rented a Medela (hospital grade) from a pharmacy. We didn't call ahead or anything. It was $ 40 per month. I only rented 1 month. I would pump and pump and in a 24 hour period only produce 6oz.

LeanneC
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Are you going back to work?  If not, then you really don't need a pump at all...  If so, then you obviously want to get one a couple weeks before you go back to start storing milk.  You shouldn't need one at all in the first 4 weeks or so though... and by then you can just buy one if you want.

LeanneC
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Quoting shellbell75:

I rented a Medela (hospital grade) from a pharmacy. We didn't call ahead or anything. It was $ 40 per month. I only rented 1 month. I would pump and pump and in a 24 hour period only produce 6oz.

Typical pump output... sometimes you have to get different sized parts as well.  Some women just don't respond well to pumps. 

OliviasMommy513
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I say no on the manuel pump. It is just to hard to do. I used the medela and we didn't rent it from the hospital we rented it from a rental place. Just look online for your area. It depends how long you are planning on using the pump. If you are planning on using it for a long time it might be cheaper to just go ahead and buy one. I have been pricing it lately and it is about 50-60 a month. The longer you rent the cheaper it is. My rental place said to come in a few days before to sign the papers and pay for it so when the baby comes husband can just pick it up. But with my DD my husband went after I had her and rented it. GL!

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

pregnancy
HuntersMomee
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 8:49 PM

i got mine from the WIC office for free... have you tried that?

our new baby is either going to be Keira Lynn or Ean River                

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)