Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Full Time Working Mommys

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:12 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have a question. Is anyone else having to train a co-worker to do their duties while out on maternity leave? I don't like showing other people how to do what I do... in the theory doesn't this mean they could take your job? My boss says that won't happen, but I can't help but be a little freaked out. Are any other women dealing with these feelings. I don't really know what to do with them.

Proud wife to Jeff~  Mommy to Lainey* expecting another little one April 30th!stork

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
KNR
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:15 PM

I had to train someone else to do my job while i was on leave. Check into your company policies on leave, but if you are on FMLA or Short Term Disability, they cannot terminate you due to your medical leave as long as you document your leave and get your letters from your doctors and make sure you do all of your PPWK thru your Human Resources department.  As long as you come back when your dr. says you can, and keep in touch with your boss and HR department, they cannot terminate you becuase you went on maternity leave.

Lacy_2
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:18 PM

I had to too. I trained her for months before I left for maternity leave. Once I was gone on leave she moved to full-time.. Long story short she took my job and it was not offered back to me at all. Not her fault but my employer. Like I said it is a long story. Anyway by law they aren't allowed to do that. Or if they do then they must offer you a similar job with the sam pay and hours you were working before. If they don't you can collect unemployment.

kaciewor
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Quoting Lacy_2:

I had to too. I trained her for months before I left for maternity leave. Once I was gone on leave she moved to full-time.. Long story short she took my job and it was not offered back to me at all. Not her fault but my employer. Like I said it is a long story. Anyway by law they aren't allowed to do that. Or if they do then they must offer you a similar job with the sam pay and hours you were working before. If they don't you can collect unemployment.

I would like to hear if you don't mind. I don't like it at all.

Proud wife to Jeff~  Mommy to Lainey* expecting another little one April 30th!stork

doopey
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:24 PM

I had to train my fellow co-workers what I do before I went out on maternity with my 1st daughter.  Then, when I had my 2nd daughter they decided to hire a temp to help out.  But, with this one they'll just distribute my duties among 4 people.  But, I'm not worried in the least bit.  I do WAY too much around here that they'd all be lost without me.  I was teasing the accounting lady today that I was sick of all the B.S. going on that I was going to ask my Dr to put me out on maternity leave now (I'm only 19w).  She freaked and said, No please don't do that.

Ash_Edwinslil1
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 7:29 PM

You know, I'm actually in the process of doing that right now. I'm not on my leave yet. I don't go on my leave until Feb 6th. I've been training this guy for almost a month now so hopefully he gets everything down by the time I leave. It's so frustrating too cause I just don't have the patience. Lol. Thankfully our store isn't HUGE like most retail places.

Quoting Lacy_2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)