Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NEW product- Enfamil for 9-24 month toddlers???

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:43 PM
  • 10 Replies

Anyone else seen this new product???

I thought that you could STOP giving the baby formula at 12 months of age and begin giving regular milk.  Now, Enfamil invented a NEW product they claim is for babies aged 9-24 months-- are you serious?  Just wondering if this is really necessary, nutritiously valuable, or  just a marketing scheme to try to get us to spend money until they are 2 years of age!!!???

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
miasmommy21407
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:48 PM

From what I understand the reason behind it is the World Health Organization recommending that babies be breastfed until AT LEAST 2 years so the formula companies are trying to make a product to provide nutrition into the 2nd year.

But from what I've heard (never used formula) many doctors do NOT like it because the sugar content is to high. Their are lots of other milk to chose from after the first year including cows milk, goats milk and breastmilk.

miss_nevin
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:53 PM

shouldnt be on formula after 1.. i think this is an option.. not sure why maybe cause some mom give their kids formula later cause they dont eat alot or if your child is really skinny.. or some just cant get their kids off formula.. thats what i would think but i do know that you kid doesnt need to be on formula after one.. but its like breastfeeding each child is different

elizabg
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:22 PM

They have had this for at least four years.  My oldest will be four in June.  It is called Toddler formula.  I never used it because you can give them milk after a year.  The formula gives them all the nutrients that regular formula gives them.  I guess if you have a picky toddler that doesn't like food they are getting all the nutrients.

gypsydancer7
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Its not new...its been out for YEARS. The WHO recommends BF until the age of 2 and says if you cant formula is beneficial. If you have a toddler that eats VERY helthy, its not  needed

Mom2LiamNMolly
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Liam is on it because he doesn't eat a lot of solids some days... so his GI has us add a couple of scoops to his 2 milk sippy's (he also gets a pediasure a day) to make sure he is getting enough calories...

Quoting miss_nevin:

shouldnt be on formula after 1.. i think this is an option.. not sure why maybe cause some mom give their kids formula later cause they dont eat alot or if your child is really skinny.. or some just cant get their kids off formula.. thats what i would think but i do know that you kid doesnt need to be on formula after one.. but its like breastfeeding each child is different

motherhood-quote21

Stefanie - Mommy to Liam Patrick 07/07 (IUGR) and Molly Kate 06/08 (IUGR, Pre-Natal Stroke, Developmental Delays, and Failure to Thrive) and Wife to Mark since 2/17/2006

virgobaby1978
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:27 PM

It's supposed to help them. I think it's funny you said that cause I just got a free can in the mail from them.

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

ladyjones76
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:28 PM

They have that formula here in California i seen it at Safeway and other food stores

LuvmySFSGT

Quoting miss_nevin:

My daughter was on formula until 15 months. Recommended by her highly trained Pediatrician.

It is very beneficial for some children.

jamrodkey
No it's NOT necessary, lol. I gave my DD both whole milk and sometimes formula w/Similac Go & Grow (9-24 months).
virgobaby1978
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:30 PM

It says that it has more iron and vitamins C and E than milk and as much calcium and vitamin D and has DHA and ARA to support toddler's eye and brain development.

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)