Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

10 months? How do you explain it?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:03 PM
  • 10 Replies

For all the moms who count pregnancy as 10 months...how do you explain it to other people?  Specifically women who have never been pregnant before.  I just don't understand it.  This is my 3rd pregnancy and I've always counted my months by changing on the same day of the month as my due date....for example.  I'm due May 1st, so on Februrary 1st I'll be 6 months pregnant.  I just can't make it make sense in my head that we're pregnant 10 months.  I KNOW I got pregnant in August...and I'm due May 1st...that leaves 3 full months that I wont be pregnant (May, June and July)....leaving 9 months left in the year....hence I'm pregnant 9 months.  I just truly don't understand the whole 10 months thing.  I know some women count 4 weeks = a month....but then when you get to 40 weeks do you really tell people your 10 months pregnant?? Someone please help me understand! lol

pregnancy week by week

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
miss_nevin
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:04 PM

well its 40 weeks.. which is like 9 month and 3 weeks well depenting on when you get pregnant i would tell them 40 weeks..

omigodfirstbaby
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM

you are preggo for 40 weeks all 40 x 7 = 280 days preggo then if you divide 280 by 30 ( how many days in a month) you get 9. so 40 weeks is equal to 9 months.

DixieFlower
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Okies here is the deal technically its not 10 months. Not all months have four weeks. Also you are not even considered one month pregnant until the end of your fourth week. So at 5wks you would either say you are 5wks pregnant or one month. I guess some people just do the whole 40wks divided by 4 weeks equals 10 months but due to some months having more than 4wks it doesn't add up that way.

Pregnancy ticker

ladyjones76
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:08 PM

yea i think the same way Iam 5mths iam due june 3 2009 but when we go by weeks i will be 6mths in 4wks its confusing to me

jeswill

I would say 10 months cause on average there is four weeks in a month... Thought it is 9 I like to think 10 cause it makes me feel better

JessMomof2boys

yeah I understand that.  I think very logically so that's always what I think when people say it too

Quoting DixieFlower:

Okies here is the deal technically its not 10 months. Not all months have four weeks. Also you are not even considered one month pregnant until the end of your fourth week. So at 5wks you would either say you are 5wks pregnant or one month. I guess some people just do the whole 40wks divided by 4 weeks equals 10 months but due to some months having more than 4wks it doesn't add up that way.

pregnancy week by week

virgobaby1978
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Actually, you're pregnant for 38 weeks. However, since they calculate due dates from the first day of the last menstrual period it is 40 weeks. However, assuming you ovulate on day 14 you really are not pregnant the first 2 weeks. So they are giving you 2 extra weeks.

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

JessMomof2boys
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:21 PM

very true, very true.  The pregnancy book I have actually talks about that.  When it talks about the growth of the baby week by week it'll say "28 weeks (your baby is 26 weeks old)"

Quoting virgobaby1978:

Actually, you're pregnant for 38 weeks. However, since they calculate due dates from the first day of the last menstrual period it is 40 weeks. However, assuming you ovulate on day 14 you really are not pregnant the first 2 weeks. So they are giving you 2 extra weeks.

pregnancy week by week

hunnielane
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Pregnancy months are 28 days long like lunar  months are too. I either tell people my weeks or if they want months then i tell them both sets of timed months and explain that "preggo" months are 28 days. Example...Im 32 wks,  8 preggo or lunar months, and 7 regular months

11 month old son& 30 wks pregnanttoddler boyexpecting girl

britbit
by on Jan. 24, 2009 at 6:49 PM

This is not the answer you are looking for since I am not one to say 10 months. But here is how I explain 9 months....

A year has 52 weeks (12 months).
You are pregnant for 40 weeks (9 months).
You are not pregnant for 12 weeks (3 months).

The average month has 4.3 weeks in it.
If you are pregnant for 40 weeks, that comes to 9.3 months.
Which is like nine months and maybe 10 days.
So don't count the first "pre-conception" days and you get nine months.
Definitely not 10 months!

See http://baby2see.com/pregnancylength.html#weeks_into_months

The chart below shows how the weeks, months and trimesters break down into each other.

*This is just a guideline and the exact weekly breakdown may differ from source to source.

Weeks 1 - 4 5 - 8 9 - 13 14 - 17 18 - 21 22 - 26 27 - 30 31 - 35 36 - 40
Which
Month
are you in?
You are
in your
first
month
You are
in your
second
month
You are
in your
third
month
You are
in your
fourth
month
You are
in your
fifth
month
You are
in your
sixth
month
You are
in your
seventh
month
You are
in your
eighth
month
You are
in your
ninth
month
This is
Month
one two three four five six seven eight nine
Trimester first second third
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)