Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DO YOU THINK DOCS ARE A LIL OVERBOARD ON WHAT YOU CAN AN CANT DO WHILE PREGNANT??

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM
  • 15 Replies

HI

I just wanted to see what everyone thinks, me and my grandma were talking the other day and she had said how crazy the pregnancy resrictions are nowadays and found some of them humorus like no lucnch meats. I mean obviously some of them are good like no smoking/ drinking but really it seems like doctors make us a little bit paranoid when were expecting. I mean yrs ago they did everything and are parents are fine. Im not starting a bashing post at all I just want to see view points and if Im the only person that feels its gotten a little overboard. AND LET ME CLARIFY I DO BELIEVE SOME OF THE RESTRICTIONS ARE VERY GOOD AND BENEFICAL TO MOTHER AND BABY!!! BUT SOME YEAH, A LIL OUT THERE!!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom23boys679
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM
Yes, I do. I walked on eggshells the first time around, but now that I'm on my third baby, I'm like whatever. I wouldn't smoke/drink/or eat mercury fish - but you're right. I can see if you have a real medical condition barring you from pelvic activities (sex, etc) but otherwise - I agree.
charmed_423
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:08 PM

well its just weird because some do make sense but think back to covered wagon days....no riding horses...all they had were horses....and what in god name happend when you had an episiotomy back then....i shudder to think....but like no artificial sugars ...and things ...i mean honestly

sparkyskitten
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:08 PM

I really do think alot of them are stupid.. I eat lunch meat, and seafood.. I drink coffee.. I understand precautions for high risk women but most are stupid.. my favorite not lefting more than 15 lb most have children that weight more than that

expecting boyMarch 2009. We already have a great toddler girl July 2006.

Don't complain about life if you're not willing to get off your ass and do something to change it.

Group Admin Breastfeeding Moms Uncensored

miss_nevin
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:09 PM

some of it is.. but think about how many kids use to died at birth and how yound we use to die.. i dont know.. thats my 5cent

ApawlakUSA
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:10 PM

I AGREE WITH YOU ALL!! LOL ITS SO TRUE SOME STUFF IS CRAZY NOW!!

miasmommy21407
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:11 PM

I do think that they can go over board on some things, especially during labor and delivery.

As far as the lunch meat thing...you CAN have it. It just needs to been cooked until it's steaming. I personally know a mom who got Listeria during pregnancy from bologna  and lost her baby at 22 weeks so that one I feel is legit.

kbates1208
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM

OOPS. I ate lunchmeat. LOL. My doctor hasn't really put any weird restrictions out there. But I've heard some strange ones. What really gets me is the thing about cat litter boxes. I got rid of my cat when I was preggo the first time cuz I was terrified! Come to find out, if you've been around cats for a while before pregnancy (I have since I was 4) you are most likely immune to the stuff you can get from it. BUT...that doesn't stop me from reminding my DH that I "can't" clean the litter box. LMFAO

bezark
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Absolutely. I ignore most of them completely.

I go by common sense, not a list of arbitrary "no-no's."

DamiensMommy1
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:13 PM

heck no!

I totally took advantage of the weight restrictions lol.. My job is hard is f***!

Photobucket
clwlockey
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:13 PM
i agree!! they make us all paranoid! i went with no drinking or smoking and everything else in moderation!! i did heat my lunch meat up though!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)