Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I Breastfeed or Not?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:16 PM
  • 52 Replies

Honestly I really dont want to breastfeed. I hear it makes you skinny really fast but I just dont feel comfortable doing it. Everyone is pressuring me and I was told that I was a slefish person for not wanting to. My mother never breastfed me and I turned out ok. I hate the pressure that is being placed on me even by my boyfriend (who i think is just going off of what his mothers opinion is)! What should I do? Im due in 2 weeks and I'm freaking out!!!!!!!!!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JessMomof2boys
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:18 PM

That decision is completely up to you.  But you should not feel bad if you decide not to. It's your body and your decision.  Formula fed babies are just as healthy as breastfed babies : )

pregnancy week by week

steph2884
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:18 PM

I breastfed for 17 months... so you know my answer!! I would at least try it. You never know. There are lots of benefits to breast milk that you don't get from formula, but as long as you are feeding and caring for your baby, don't let people make you feel bad for however you decide to feed your baby.

virgobaby1978
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:19 PM

You need to do what You want to do not everyone else. It's supposed to be true that breast milk is better for your baby but not everyone nurses and there isn't something wrong with everyones baby that doesn't so my opinion if you don't want to do it then don't.

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

zgirls009
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:20 PM

The choice is completely yours.  Maybe you should do some research and list pros and cons on breastfeeding and formula feeding.  If there are enough pro's for breastfeeding, you could try it for even a couple months and then switch or if not, you can go straight to forumla.

I'm chosing to breastfeed because the health benefits it has.  However, that's something I've always been planning on doing.  It's not for everyone though :)

bezark

That's debateable. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's selfish not to, but if you are able, it really is best for baby. Even if you can only swing it for a few weeks.

Quoting JessMomof2boys:

That decision is completely up to you.  But you should not feel bad if you decide not to. It's your body and your decision.  Formula fed babies are just as healthy as breastfed babies : )

bcmommy0829

you do what you are comfortable doing.  nobody can force you to breastfeed.  both of my kids were formula fed and are just fine.  there will always be someone out there that will make you feel guilty about it (probably a few on this very post!) but in the end only you get to decide if you are willing to breastfeed.

miasmommy21407
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:20 PM

I personally think that every baby deserves a chance at the best. I'm sure you've heard all the benefits of breastfeeding before but have you looked up the info on formula?

If you want info let me know. Also you can always try it and maybe it won't be as uncomfortable as you think. I know for me it was the MOST AMAZING experience of my life. It's something ONLY YOU can do for your baby.

amyershoney

i tryed it b ut was no good at it  so baby 2 gets bottel and its ok to me  lol

sapphiresoda
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:21 PM

I breastfed both of my children, but had to stop with my youngest and formula feed due to having manditory breast surgery.  Honestly, breastfeeding is a lot easier than formula feeding, but if you don't feel comfortable doing it, then don't.  Yes, breastfeeding is great for losing weight and it's supposed to be best for the baby, but your relationship with your new baby is the most important.  If you don't feel comfortable breastfeeding, your baby is going to pick up on it and it will be a miserable experience for the both of you.  Do what you feel is right and don't let anyone bully you.  If formula feeding is what you choose, so be it, you are still a good mom and you are making sure your baby is fed and loved.

baby

baby

Pregnancy ticker

Gender Prediction

Jillian
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:22 PM

You need to do whats comfortable for you. If you really want to make other people happy you can get or rent a pump and try feeding your baby breastmilk as a compromise. I breastfed and it didn't bother me but i ended up formula feeding at about a month and that was fine too. I know plenty of people who don't breastfeed it's your choice  do what feels right to you andd stay strong for some reason people feel the right to tell you what to do the moment you get pregnant.

having a baby

baby

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)