Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to make SO feel better? (Little long..sorry!)

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:32 PM
  • 4 Replies

Basically my SO comes from a very religious family that we've always had issues with.  We're young (21 & 22) and aren't ready to get married.  Mainly because I have school completely paid for at a college 5 hrs away and he has a decent job making $50K+ and great insurance doing pretty much nothing.  We don't see the point in getting married until we can BE together and I'm double covered on my parent's insurance right now so it'd be silly to give that up.  Anyway so obviously I ended up pregnant (9 weeks, 4 days!) and we're both finacially and mentally able to handle this.  We're both really excited and so are my parents (since they know I'll finish school--yadda yadda yadda).  He's been dreading telling his mom because of the religious barrier.  Well he told her and she was more excited for his cousin (18 yrs, married, no job, living in mom and dad's basement, trying to go to school) being pregnant than us because she got married in the temple.  He's really crushed because he's a big mommy's boy and she wasn't supportive, even after he showed her the ultrasound and talked about names and everything.  I'm at a loss of what to do to try to fix things, as it was a big buzzkill for him.  Any advice?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
katrina311
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I don't know what to tell you!  I am so sorry that his family is not supportive. I have a similar issue with my fiance and his family but I just tell him constantly how much I love him and how I feel about him.  There really isn't a lot you can do to make up for a family issue.

Good Luck...

Jillian
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:45 PM

It so hard dealing with family.

having a baby

baby

misschristine_b
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:45 PM

not much you can do, it's just gonna take time.  my so's family is very religious also and we are not married and nor do we plan on getting married anytime soon.  i've explained to his parents and mine (and grandparents) why im not ready to get married and his parents have come around alot but both our grandparents tell us it's bs and we should just get married. good luck to you, hopefully they will come around soon!

virgobaby1978
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:50 PM

I'm sorry I wish I had something good to say but honestly I think what you guys had planned is better. You should finish your schooling and I wouldn't pass up that insurance if I was you. Did he explain that to his mom maybe she would be understanding then? I wish I knew what to say to be more helpful.

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)