Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tell me about your labor....

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:59 PM
  • 20 Replies

So its getting closer to "D day" and I was just wondering what your labor was like. Did you use pain meds? How long did it last? How bad was the pain?  Did you feel you were well prepared?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LisaKelz
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:02 PM

the dr broke my bag of water when i was around 3cm dialated & i got my epidural shortly after that. the contractions didnt hurt, they just felt like pressure (like i needed to poop really badly)

Thestacys08
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:09 PM

I of course an epi! It was AMAZING! Didn't feel anything but pressure and it didn't hurt. I was in labor for 3 days! Cause they held me off as long as they could cause she was a premie. But when it came to the part of pushing was a piece of cake. I was not ready at all! I am pregnant again, and going to be so prepared for this little one way ahead of time cause i dont want to have another premie and not be ready!

good luck!

Teeshann
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:11 PM

i was induced with my first. was in labor 48 hours. not sure how long it had been (had been awhile) but was getting really tired so gave in and got the epidural (really wanted to do without)and was finally able to sleep. started getting these really bad charlie horses in my hip. my mom would come massage them out for me. we figured it was cuz i'd been in bed so long. i couldn't get up cuz of meds they had me on from inducing. we finally figured out it was actually contractions i was feeling. doctor didn't believe me that i was feeling them in my hip till she watched the monitor. i pushed for 2 hours and she was finally here.

with my son i had my membranes stripped and started labor around 6:30. waited  2 hours with contractions 5 min apart and went in. they sent me home. an couple hours later, still at 5 min apart. went back to hospital. sent me home again. contractions went to 4 min apart and went in and they sent me home. each time telling me to come in when contractions got closer and more intense. or if my water broke. but not to rush in. to take a shower, grab a bite to eat, then come in. went back in at 2 min apart and they finally kept me. nobody even came to offer a wheelchair to get to labor and delivery. i swear it took us 20 minutes to get up there cuz i could barely walk. i asked for an epidural. we were there for a couple hours before the guy came in to put it in. they said they'd be back in 20 minutes to make sure it was in right and give me the medicine. when the nurse came in i told her i had to go to the bathroom and she checked me and said it was cuz i was having a baby and ran to get the doc. doc came in and got his robe on, water broke, pushed 5 times and he was there. so never did really get the meds for the epidural. lol.

AmberDR
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:12 PM

I never had a single contraction until i went into labor. My contractions started at 1am at 6 minutes apart. At first i just thought i had a stomach ache, until i realized it was coming in waves. I woke hubby up and told him. I called the hospital at 3am and asked them when i should come in. They said when my contractions are 2-3mins apart since it was my first. They suggested walking around and taking a shower.

At 6am i was hurting pretty bad, but my contractions were still 6 minutes apart. I called L&D again. They said to come on in since they were more intense. They were to the point that I had to stop walking around and hold onto something when I had one. So I got up, put on my makeup, got dressed, got DH, and went to the hospital. I was in tears by the time i got there at 7am. I was dilated to 4.

Fast forward. My OB said that he wanted me to start pitocin (i was going to be induced the next week due to high blood pressure anyway.). I got some pain meds until they could get there for my epidural. A little bit later, i got my epi. At 3:30,  i was at 6cm.

By 5:30pm Laila's heartrate dropped with each contraction, so they thought I was ready to push. I was still dilated to 6. Then her heartrate dropped to the 70s. They rolled me on my side and gave me oxygen, but it wouldn't come up. At 5:50, I was being shaved (tmi sorry) for my c-section. She was delivered via emergency c-sec at 6:42pm. Her head was stuck because it was too big for my pelvis...that's why i stopped dilating. All together I was in labor for 17 hours before she came.

I had taken childbirth classes at my hospital, so i did feel like i was as prepared as i could be, but surprise c-sec isn't exactly easy to be ready for.

Good Luck, mama. You'll be great!

LeoneLover13
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:21 PM
Mine was short, around 8 hours but truly the most amazing experience of my life. I was at a birth center and had a water birth. Once I was able to get in the water at 8cm, I was SOOOOO relaxed, I honestly started falling asleep during each contraction. To answer your questions: Did you use pain meds? Heck no and I never will! How long did it last? About 8 hours How bad was the pain? It was intense, the only way to describe it. Very painful, but manageable especially once I got in the water. Did you feel you were well prepared? Very. I researched and took classes and studied the second I found out I was pregnant. I think it is important to know what your going into. I would and probably will do it all over again.
lorsmommy08
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:25 PM

My labor was relatively easy, I suppose. I started having pre-labor symptoms the day before. That night I went to bed, woke up around 6am, and had the bloody show/contractions/body evacuating everything. Got to the hospital around 8-9am, I was 7cm dialated. I got the epi right away, any longer and I wouldn't have been able to get it. Started pushing about 1-2, and she was here around 4pm. The only pain was from the contractions before my epi, and then when she started getting lower, I had bad pains in my legs that made it hard to push. So I had to use a labor bar. Then when her head came out, there was a burning-feeling b/c I tore.

~*~Krista~*~ Mom to Lorelai, and a surprise on the way!

Mamaz
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:42 PM
my first labor was a birth plan disaster so i will spare you from that. my last labor was beautiful and wonderful!!! i woke up at 7 am, 8 days overdue, just to pee. i wasn;t having contractions nothing. but when i wiped there was just a tinge of pink and i swear i just KNEW i was going to have the baby that day. i went back to bed and within about 15 minutes i started having contractions. they were super irregular and not too intense and the time inbetween i was totally normal. by about 7:30 my daughter had woken up and i got up and made her breakfast. i had decided to not pay attention to the contractions until they were more intense. because hell they just felt like mild menstral cramps. by 8:00 they were 6 minutes apart but not too intense. i woke my hubby up and he finished packing my bag just in case. at 9:30 there was no change so we called the hospital just to see what they wanted us to do. go in or wait or what ever. since it was my 2nd baby they wanted me to come in because 2nd time moms are pretty good about not calling too soon. so we dropped my daughter off at the in laws and got to the hospital at 10:00. my contractions were 4 minutes apart by that point. but still just like cramps. not even bad cramps. more annoying cramps. they checked me at 10:30 and i was 6 CM!!!! i did a couple dozen laps around the maternity ward. and at 12:30 they checked me again. the contractions were about 2 minutes apart and i was 8 CM!!! but the contractions were still similar to cramps and not that bad at all. i could walk and talk and joke around through them. so i was 8 cm and my water still hadn;t broken. i had planned on going 100% natural including letting my water break on it;s own. but the problem was the sack was buldging in front of the baby;s head making it so the head couldn;t put any more pressure on my cervix to make it open more. so she broke it. and apparently the sack was holding my cervix open a bit because i went back down to 7 cm. at 1:30 i was at 8 cm again. so i went and sat in the tub for about an hour. then BOOM!! it hit me!! i felt like i had to push. the contractions were so bad i couldn;t focus on anything through them. i could barely breathe. i started hyperventilating. and swearing that i had to push right then!! my midwife checked me and i was only at 9 cm. they told me i could push if i wanted. it might force my cervix open. so i tried to push and tried. but the pain was so intense and the pressure was so intense i couldn;t control my muscles. i swore up and down i was pushing but i wasn't at all. i was screaming and crying and begging for meds. but my midwife wouldn't let me because i had told her before hand that i didn;t want them and i would regret it for the rest of my life if i got them. (i to this day regret them from my first baby;s birth, she is 3 years old now)my midwife finally said to me," If you want this pain to stop you have to have this baby. you aren;t getting an epidural and you aren;t getting a c-section. so push this baby out!!" i was so pissed off i pushed and pushed and pushed. she let me push on my own, whenever i wanted to during a contraction. i pushed for 8 MINUTES!!!! as the head crowns there is what is called "the ring of fire" when your perineum thins to allow the head to come out. let me tell you this OMFG!!!! it is FIRE!!! but it doesn't last. my beautiful 8 pound 10 ounce baby Amelia was born at 3:33 pm. i didn;t tear, i didn;t hemmoragge. the contractions didn;t stop right away. and and i was really really sore for a good hour afterwards. but i was walking in a matter of minutes and i felt so good!!! i had so much energy and i was so happy and i felt just really good. the weirdest part i must say was when the placenta was still in and the baby was out. i could feel the cord being pulled out!! and it is a weird feeling having a rope pulled out of your vagina!!! lol i hope you enjoyed my novel!! i will never have a medicated birth again!!! it hurt! but it was more than i could have dreamed it would be!!

I am the breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing, vaccinating, pro-life mama of two beautiful little girls!!!

Photobucket

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination

virgobaby1978
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:45 PM

I will post my birth story of my last baby from another one of my sites :)

Alyssa-Lee`s birthstory

We went into the hospital to be induced at 7am on Feb. 29th. When we got there they got me straight into a room and into my gown asked me all the questions they needed to and by 7:30 am we were ready to start the pictocin. They checked my cervix and we were at a 2. At 8:00 am the contractions were starting. My mom and my older kids showed up at 10:00 am. The contractions started really hurting at 10:15 am and at that time they gave me the epidural (in the beginning I really didn`t want it but I hate pain). They checked me again after doing the epidural and I was still a 2. They placed a cathader because I wouldn`t be able to stand up to go to the bathroom. At 11:00 am they checked me again and I wasn`t making any progress so they placed a contraction monitor on my uterus to see how severe my contractions were, they were between 80-100. At noon they came in again and I was at a 3. At 1:00 pm they checked me again and I was a 10. They went and called my doctor and got everything ready, he got there at 1:05 pm and told me to start pushing. We only had to push 2 times. Alyssa was completely out at 1:13 pm. There was no tearing or anything therefore no stitches.

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

MissShelbyLee
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:52 PM

i wsa in active labor for only 2 hours, and only had to push through 2 contractions with the doctor, i saw my dd head on the first push.  i had an epi, but wouldnt have if i knew it was going to be so fast!!  i didnt like the epidural at all, it my my bady feel terrible, and i would shake uncontrolably until it wore off, never again, but i didnt feel any pain, on other hand my contrations were never more than i could handle. 

Lovin_LiL_ViC
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:02 AM

It lasted from dinner time til 834 the next morning.

I was very unprepared.

The pain was not as bad as I expected contraction wise, until the pitocin, but was WORSE when it comes to the tearing and actual coming out then I expected.

I had pretty intense contractions for a long time, called L&D they said even though they are only 40 seconds or less apart they wouldn't keep me bc they were not regular and showed no pattern in LENGTH, STUPID! But I had been intensly vomiting for 3 hours so hubs forced me in. We left w/o the bag bc they said they would send me home. I get there and I am 8 cm so they wont let me leave! Stupid again!

They finally get me all checked in and I am passing 9 cm. I asked fgor meds, they assumed an epi, and gave it to me even though I was begging to push! I was so uneducated, I didn't know that was a bad idea until we started...

The epi combine with ..i dont recall the name  but its when you start to have just ONE really powerful, nonstop contraction, basically stopped my son's heart. Epi isn't even in effect yet. So they try and c-sec me and I FLIPP they can't bc I said no. Epi kicks in. It made me high like a street drug and I cant account for any of that time but I couldnt push or focus and rambled about embarrassing shit.

I threw up all over myself, a nurse, a dr, the heart rate machine, the bed, and the floor.

They stall the labor to see if his heart rate comes up and let the epi wear off. Then pitocin and back to pushing. He crowned at least 4 times befor his chin came out and they grabbed his neck and pulled the rest out. I pushed for 3 hours total befor and after the pitocin.

I had HORRIBLE side effects from the epi. and was very worried I would never walk again. (they were concerned but said nothing they could do but what and see what happened until the next day) And it cuased a lot of pain in my legs.  

My husband is a comfort eater and went and bought ALL MY FAVORITE candies from the vending machine and ate them right infront of me!

It was tramatic....

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
NestBaby Pregnancy Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)