Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am just devastated

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:15 PM
  • 20 Replies

My husband worked two jobs- one made a lot more than the other. I have 5 kids, and we aren't on welfare. An hour ago, he came home from his high paying job and told me they let him go.

I am so devastated. We cant live off 1300 a month with 5 kids!!!! This last pregnancy was totally unplanned and I have had a hard time coming to grips with the fact I'm going to have 6 kids. Now- I just want to start googling adoption pages again. We can;t afford 5 kids, surely we cant afford 6!

I dont even know what to do. Im hysterical. I dealt with some hardcore depression but come December it was like it had gone away. Now I just want the next 20 weeks to fly so I can give this baby up for adoption and get a job to help support my family. Dh is not having it. He doesnt want to even consider adoption right now, but we simply cannot afford 5 kids on 1300 a month and with  this economy, I dont know that he can get another job- let alone one that paid nearly what his good one did.

Whats worse is we are suppose to move into our new house in 14 days! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH This happened at the worse possible time!

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyIvy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I would go to DHS and see if you can get Food Stamps. Also if your kids are under 5 you can go to the Health Dept. and get on WIC. Good luck Momma!

I love my son Pictures, Images and PhotosEXPECTING A GIRL Pictures, Images and Photosproud c section mommy Pictures, Images and PhotosFormula feeding mom Pictures, Images and PhotosDue in March Pictures, Images and PhotosHappily Married rings Pictures, Images and Photos

MamaCarterof5
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Thanks. I actually used to be a social worker. Food stamps and Wic are great, but honestly I think even with that- it's not going to help. 1300 for a house payment/rent, gas, electricity, phone... not to mention clothes, toilet paper, soap yadda yadda yadda.... I just dont see ithappening. I'm a penny pincher as it is-coupon queen... el cheapo. Hell, I even wash plastic wear over and over.

Quoting MommyIvy:

I would go to DHS and see if you can get Food Stamps. Also if your kids are under 5 you can go to the Health Dept. and get on WIC. Good luck Momma!

CoastieWifePR
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:21 PM

I am sorry you are going through this...  You sound like you do not want to give your baby up for adoption, if that's the case, please dont do it...  You will regret it...  If you have 5 kids, I'm sure with one more you should be fine...  Its not like you're having twins or triplets...  Can you apply for TANF?  I truly hope things get better for you guys, you definitely dont need this stress sad

lyns-n-babymama
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:21 PM

I agree with the other post, also you might be able to get on medicaid, if not for you and HUbby then for the kids, that way they will have health ins. Good Luck.

croneasm
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Im sorry. 

virgobaby1978
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:23 PM

I wish the best of luck to you I know how you feel I have soon to be 7 kids but I couldn't ever consider giving them up unless I absolutely had to. What about finding a job that is the opposite schedule as him even part time will help you some. I can tell you don't want to give up your baby and you shouldn't if you don't want to .

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

Ilovemybbgrl
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:23 PM

oh mama please dont put your baby up for adoption. This is just a rough patch and unfortunately had to happen at this point. Im very sorry, but I think considering adoption because of this situation... I dont think if you did it that you could live down the feeling. Where there is a will there is a way. =( You already have beautiful children. You could consider food stamps and wic, and even afdc or tanf (unless you are completely opposed to the idea) im really sorry. If you need to talk please message me, but please dont feel like giving up, especially dont give up a beautiful baby you and your hubby created in love, planned or not, welcome that baby with open arms. Everything will come together how it should. Ill be keeping you in my prayers <3 Keep your head up mama

CoastieWifePR
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:24 PM

yeah, food stamps, wic, medicaid...  I'm not sure how TANF work in your state but they do help a lot here in IL with daycare costs...  My friend paid about 40.00 a week for 3 kids while I had to pay 130.00 a week for one...

Quoting lyns-n-babymama:

I agree with the other post, also you might be able to get on medicaid, if not for you and HUbby then for the kids, that way they will have health ins. Good Luck.

miss_nevin

well, im sure you love being a stay at home mom but have you though about working nights.. you know maybe that way there are two incomes with no childcare.. or if you own your home, do daycare.. which would be good too..  I dont know i know i pay my sitter 1000+ a month for my 2 kids.. thats extra money and you could stay at home.. i know it would still be hard.. but you can get help from the state.. till maybe he can get another job

Nichol81

I am so sorry.  You know everytime something aweful has happen to us, something much better has always come along!  Right before I gave birth to my Morgan in December, my job which used to pay me about 140K a year, was no longer available.  We were living solely on my DH salary. Well the company he was working for went out of business 4 weeks before I had Morgan.  I thought we were going to die.  Everything worked out fine!  We are actually better off now then we were before and I get to see my hubby alot more.  So relax, take a deep breath and just know everything will work out.  We are not given more then we can handle.  There is alot of help out there right now.  He can file for unemployment, even with having his other job.  Depending on what he was making he can get some decent benefits.  You will be able to handle six kids, there is some special reason why you were meant to have one more.

Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)