Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

**Protein in urine ?!?!?** piog

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:31 PM
  • 14 Replies

Well, i went in for my weekly progesterone injection today, and i thought to mention to the RN that i've had a weird smell and white discharge when i urinate....sorry, if tmi--so i asked to have a urinalysis.....when i went to do the sample, my pee came out dark, almost orange ! I had only drank water ALL day before i got there, and up until then, my urine was pale yellow ! Well,  i got the results this afternoon and all the levels were okay, except the protein-the range should be between 0-9....mine was 20 !!! So i called the dr. office to see if i should be concerned, and the on-call dr. said "no" ! Why shouldn't i ? I read somewhere that high protein indicates possible UTI's, or preeclampsia ! She's gonna leave a message for my regular dr. in the morning....

*Anyone else had high protein readings ????? Shouldn't i be a little worried ?

i'm trying not to worry, but i feel like the "on call" dr. didn't show enough concern...she did ask if i've had elevated bp's in the past w/ this pregnancy-i said "no", but i failed to mention that i've not been to an appt. in 2 weeks !! It'll be THREE weeks by the time i go to my next appt. next tuesday, so a LOT could've changed in that time....i also didn't have GD 2 weeks ago.....and NOW i do !

I'm just gonna wait to hear from my regular doc tomorrow.....

Please keep ur fingers crossed, and say a prayer that everything's cool....

pregnant

Pregnancy ticker

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Thestacys08
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:32 PM

I thought high protein was a UTI??

MommyIvy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:35 PM

High protein could also be Pre E. Do you have a Wal Mart around that you could take your bp at?

I love my son Pictures, Images and PhotosEXPECTING A GIRL Pictures, Images and Photosproud c section mommy Pictures, Images and PhotosFormula feeding mom Pictures, Images and PhotosDue in March Pictures, Images and PhotosHappily Married rings Pictures, Images and Photos

virgobaby1978
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Hi protein is a uti I just had one myself and it's very common to get them while pregnant why? I have no Idea. This last one i had hurt a lot more than any other I had had and I don't know why. I honestly thought it was a kidney infection. I hope you get feeling better drink lots of water and cranberry juice my dr gave me some antibiotic.

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

virgobaby1978
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:36 PM

Ok I didn't know that so it could be a couple things then.

Quoting MommyIvy:

High protein could also be Pre E. Do you have a Wal Mart around that you could take your bp at?

Come join Mommy's Playground. Where you can talk about anything important to you. http://www.cafemom.com/group/ourkids4life

MommyIvy
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Are you having headaches or seeing spots? Do you have any swelling in the face and hands?

I love my son Pictures, Images and PhotosEXPECTING A GIRL Pictures, Images and Photosproud c section mommy Pictures, Images and PhotosFormula feeding mom Pictures, Images and PhotosDue in March Pictures, Images and PhotosHappily Married rings Pictures, Images and Photos

JessicaT07
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:44 PM

My last pregnancy i had high protein in my urine and that was part of my preclampsia i had  along with my high blood pressure.... but i had to take home a orange jug  like every month and pee in it for 24 hours so they can keep an eye on it .. soo i end up naming him fred and i have to do it this time too soo im naming this one george cause we have to spend alot of time together lol. :D .. all i have to say is dont stress it will be fine!!

Hoping409
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Girl I would go get your BP checked just to be safe. If your really worried, I'm sure the ER would let you check it there! I know that sounds silly, but I had high levels of protein with my first and high blood pressure which lead to Pre E and and emergency C. I don't want you to worry but I also want you to be aware of what it possibly could be. Its probably not, but better safe than sorry. I had a doc that wanted me to wait 2 days for the results of my urine test. I went to the walk-in clinic that same day, bp was 160 over 100. Needless to say I was admitted that night. Trust your gut. Thats all I can say. Goodluck!

thangelbabybug
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:49 PM

my friend had protein in her urine and she had high blood pressure so they did the 24 hour pee test on her and it came back negative but the next appointment 2 weeks later her blood pressure was still really high and still had protein in her urine. she had to be hospitalized and hooked up to an iv to put stuff in her to make it go down but the next day she had to be induced because she had developed pre e. so i wouldn't let any doctor blow it off. let them no how concerned you are.

chairhead28
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Are you sure they said 0-9? I've had preeclampsia w/ both kids & they said 0-900....900 being the worst. Sometimes they'll refer to 100 as +1, 200 as +2, etc. Mine always stayed within 300-400 with BP meds (BP was never lower than 200/100...usually higher) & bed rest. 20 is nothing to be worried about. If you start getting headaches, swelling in the face, spots in vision, then you have something to worry about. Your on-call doc is just as smart as your regular doc. If something alarmed them then they'd make you do a 24hr urine analysis & draw blood. White discharge is normal during pregnancy....

Miracle6
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:49 AM

Protein in urine can be caused by bacteria. 20 is not a bad number---no worries! Good Luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)