Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

why lay on your left side while pregnant? anyone know?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:58 PM
  • 15 Replies

ok so me & my mom were talking the other day about how everytime you get a little contraction,or back pain,or w.e during your pregnancy the doctors/nurses always tell you to lay on your left side &/or drink a glass of water. why is that? what does laying on your left side do that laying on your right side or laying on your back not do? i know this may sound like a stupid questin to some of you but i was just wondering why your left side???

NestBaby Pregnancy Ticker

by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
787BabyMom
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:59 PM

I would guess it has something to do with blood flow and oxygen to the baby.  Water would be for dehydration.

mags_82
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:00 PM

I was wondering the same thing!  I dunno if it has any fact, but I am a right side kinda girl and my son came out just fine

meghan925
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Girl because the blood and stuff flows better when your on your left side...or something like that

I'm a Life LOViN' 17 year old GREAT teen mommy to Alaina (15 months old) .I'ma Harry Potter FREAK, dont give a shit what you think, fast-food junkie, stay at home mom, born and raised in Tampa Florida :)  I have been with my man (babys father) for 3 years and not pushing marriage anytime soon. Got my high school diploma and I'm on the way to break the teen mommy stereotype. I DONT regret any decisions Ive made in my life and  honestly, I WOULD NOT HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY!!!

izaiahsmoma

It has something to do with blood flow restriction.  You have the best blood flow when laying on your left side due when pregnant.

baby-loss6

KNR

One of your major blood vessels is on your right side, it can decrease circulation - but I never had any problems really, sometimes I got leg cramps when I slept on my right side.

krystaldawn_21
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:02 PM

Water is for dehydration which can cause contraction pains and then laying on your left side is supposed to be the best blood flowing side.Laying on your back can cause you to go numb or get light headed while getting up.I mainly sleep on my right side and I try to lay on my left but its not comfortable to me.I love laying on my tummy which I still do sometimes.

youngartista
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I don't know but when i lay on my right side (also a right side sleeper) the baby KILLS me. I'm only 18 weeks along and i actually have to push the baby back to the center in the morning to go to the bathroom properly!!! -_-

ArleneE
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:04 PM

just to try to re position the baby.  They say that if you have contractions or pain at home to drink something and just try moving and if it stops it's not actual labor. Another reason for the switching sides is that it gets the oxygen moving in the baby and can bring the heart rate back up if the baby is getting lazy or just not moving as much as it should.

majikalmama
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM
They tell you to lay on your left side beacuse on your right side there is a vital vein/artery and they do not want the baby to lean on it and restrict anything. and they say not to lay on your back because the muscle in your back already losen during pregnancy which means your back is under alot of stress already and if you lay on your back the baby will add more pressure to your back and cause more back pain. and as far as the water thats to keep you hydrated.

Krysten309
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM

The vena cava runs down your right side...it's a huge artery, so if your off of it you get better blood flow

-krysten
during pregnancy
"There is no fear in love; for perfect love casts out fear ... " 1 John 4:18
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN