Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could use some input from you ladies......

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:41 AM
  • 4 Replies

I went to see the head and neck surgeon on Wed for an ongoing problem I have with one of my sinuses.  He wants to do surgery.  He said he couldnt do anything until my 2nd trimester, but have any of you ever had surgery while pregnant?  What are the risks involved?  My biggest issue obviously is the baby. He said that although my sinus problem isnt life threatening, it could cause a massive infection which would require immediate attention.  **BACKGROUND**  The sinus cavity behind my right eye is completely full and will not drain.  It has been this way since November- there is a blockage of some sort- it could be a small polyp or it could be a small tumor- they dont know for sure.  He tried a couple of times to get to it without having to do surgery, but it is too far in there- he has to put me under.  He says the entire process start to finish is about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes- so it isnt a long procedure, but I still need to be put under for it.  If this causes an infection- there is a chance that will affect my entire body as where it is located is all soft tissue and would most likely end up in something similar to a staph infection- so now my "not too serious" of a problem is indeed serious.   AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  I am so stressed- because I NEED this on top of everything else, right!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Jillian
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:47 AM

I've only had teeth pulled so i'll bump you

mommyofmaknchz
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 12:50 AM

I have no idea but here is a bump. I would talk to my OB about it as well and the safety of the baby. They could probably give you some insight to how safe the surgery will be for the baby.

ambermilton
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:48 AM

I had surgery on november 5th. I was 12 weeks pregnant. I had to have my gall bladder removed. It was about to rupture and would have killed the baby, and likely me. They informed me that there were risks, but the risks in my situation were higher not to have the surgery. In other words, if i didn't have it, the baby would have died.

The surgery was a success, and i'm now 24 weeks pregnant! Baby is fine! BUT, I would not recommend any type of surgery while pregnant, unless your life or your baby's life are in greater danger from not doing surgery.

kissmiss213
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:06 AM

the reason they need to wait is cause of the anesthesia. u can have surgery after the first trimester, u should talk to ur dr about it first though, and see what he says.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)