• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone taken Chantix?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:50 AM
  • 11 Replies

I'm 14 weeks pregnant and wanted to talk to my Dr. about taking chantix I've heard of pregnant women taking it but I've also found that it hasn't been studied on pregnant women. And if you did take it was it covered under insurance and if not was it really expensive?I was just curious.  And please no bashing I'm here asking for advice because I wanted to quit and nothing seems to be working.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kate_jocelyn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:59 AM

I have NO idea about taking it while pregnant. I DO know there are lots of risks that come with it if your not pregnant, but i'd take the risks if it meant quitting smoking. My mom smoked for 40 years and quit using chantix. It just took away her urge to smoke. I would definitely talk to your doctor about it before using it. Find out which is more detrimental to the baby, chantix, or smoking? Weigh the pro's and con's, and make a decision. Good luck, I hope your successful in quitting!!! :)

I'm a single, 18 year old, christian, breastfeeding, baby-wearing, co-sleeping, cloth-diapering, vax-delaying, stay-at-home, non-cry-it-out mama to my little miss Anabelle Mae, and I'm so proud of it!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

proudmom20000
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:23 AM

Thank you I will definitely talk with my ob, I've heard you get really bad nightmares from it and everyone I know whos taken it has quit I'm just worried about the baby either way.  Hopefully I can quit soon :D

Quoting kate_jocelyn:

I have NO idea about taking it while pregnant. I DO know there are lots of risks that come with it if your not pregnant, but i'd take the risks if it meant quitting smoking. My mom smoked for 40 years and quit using chantix. It just took away her urge to smoke. I would definitely talk to your doctor about it before using it. Find out which is more detrimental to the baby, chantix, or smoking? Weigh the pro's and con's, and make a decision. Good luck, I hope your successful in quitting!!! :)

Jencala
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:30 AM

I took it about a year ago and ended up in the hospital because of it.  I had been smoking steadily since i was 18 and I was 32 at the time of hospitalization.  It gave me an erratic heart rate and a horrible asthma attack and i was in the hospital for 2 days.  I was ordered to stop taking it.  This past August I found out I was pregnant with our first baby and I quit smoking completely cold turkey after a 2 pack a day habit for about 15 years. For me, it was a choice between my personal pleasure and my baby's health and I was able to quit cold turkey thankfully.  It was REALLY hard and I still have moments where I crave a cigarette, but I just think of the little boy in my belly and I get over the craving.

BUT, that's me...I am in no way saying it will be that easy for you.  I definitely know how horribly difficult it is to quit smoking.  I think something else that helped me is that now the actual smell of smoke makes me sick.  My husband still smokes (outside only!) and I can't stand smelling it on him...it just smells gross to me now.  Talk to your doctor, I know Chantix has helped a lot of people, it just didn't help me.  Mine was covered by my insurance, but my insurance is really hard to beat, so I'm not sure if it's covered on most.  Whatever it takes to help you quit, talk to your doctor about it and do it.  You'll only be helping yourself and your unborn baby.  If you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me...I understand how difficult it is to quit!

Good luck!

pregnancy

cadlecr4
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:33 AM

I havnt personally usd it but i know someone who did (they weren't prego) but this person ended up getting put on an antidepressant. It literally made them go wacko. Good Luck

SaraNicole715
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:38 AM

i have no idea about taking it while you are pregnant but my boyfriend has just started taking it and it is working really good.  The first day he took it he cut done from a pack a day to about 5 cigarettes.  Now he was irritable those first few days but its gotten alot better.  Also he doesn't have insurance so the first month cost about $140 something but i figured he spent about the same amount on cigarettes and he won't have to take the medication forever.

shellbell75
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:10 AM

I know the OB that I used to work for would prescribe Wellbutrin for moms to quit.

NESmith63
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:13 AM

my hubby took it ........I cant imagine it would be good for pregnant women! There are some heavy side effects including despression and severe mood swings. Luckily hubby didnt have any problems with it. It was covered under our insurance....we paid a small amount for it but it all depends on what insurance you have. Some don't cover quitting smoking aides.......

expecting girl                                      baseball
            Makayla  due 2/23/09!!                                  Matthew Dylan 3/9/05

MonroeLoves82
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I would not take anything that has not been studied on pregnant women. You can go to safefetus.com and see what they rate it.

Like a good debate about Mothering Hot Topics?
Come debate with us!

My name is Alli, I am a mother to two children Brady and Addison.
I am a nurse, wife, midwifery student, aspiring doula, straight edge, breastfeeding, homebirthing, non vaccinating, liberal, pro choice, future home schooling, green living, army wife, atheist, level headed, feminist.

proudmom20000
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Thank you ladies, I've don't think i will try chantix it just seems like pretty much eveyone has side effects from it and being pregnant I don't want that but the success stories are always nice.

Emmaleths_mommy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 11:33 AM

chantix works by blocking receptors in your brain that take in the nicotine and make you feel good.  This also can cause depression, anxiety, suicide, and everything in between.  I tried it for a few days about a year ago....I hated it!!!!  It made me really anxious and I had scary dreams.  I say...it takes will power.  You really have to WANT to quit or it will never work, even with medicine.  But that's my opinion.  You may need medicine?  I don't know, but from my experiecne...I would NEVER risk taking this medicine while pregnant because it seems scary enough for me to not take it when I'm not pregnant.  Hell...this was on the first step of the medicine too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)