• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

shes still sick...(piog)

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:56 AM
  • 7 Replies

my 13 month old has been sick now for 4 days  with a stomach virusi took her into her pediatrician on thursday...well i took her into the ER yesterday because i didnt think she was drinking or eating enough to be healthy and hydrated...well they said shes a  lil dehydrated and to push push push the fluids...and to let her snack on her favorite food to help with the diaharhea well i couldnt get her to drink outta her sippy so i gave her the bottle back (ive been trying to weane her off)..and she drank two 9 oz bottles of pedia lyte then a watered down bottle of milk....i was so releived....then she finally ate some yogurt....and 1 cracker and wouldnt eat anymore...well her diahrhea looks like it could be poured into a glass(TMI i know) and its a neon green color...she didnt have anything green yesterday or the past few days....i was wondering what can i try to encourage her to eat that will make her diahrhea get a little firmer???

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jbhaleyrn
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:00 AM

You could try bananas or applesauce. That usually works for my son.

Allison7777
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:15 AM

BRAT diet should help

Bananana's, rice, apples, toast
I wouldn't give more milk because it could cause the diarrhea to increase. Just stick with the pediolyte or water

Good luck!

Just remember

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away               (I don't remember who wrote that)

fsuandi7
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:17 AM

I would think applesauce would give her even more diarrhea, but the bananas are great as well as some rice if she'll take it. My 2 yr old is sick too she just got over one bug and 2 weeks later has another plus a UTI and a bad diaper rash...so I definitely know how you feel. encourage lots of fluids maybe even a frozen fruit pop that would be good.

Quoting jbhaleyrn:

You could try bananas or applesauce. That usually works for my son.

fkh8ah
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:45 AM

i tried getting her to eat a banana a few mins ago..she wouldnt do it but i did get her to eat a yogurt and half of a piece of toast and a ritz cracker..i havent seen her eat that much in a few days hopefully itll harden the stools..im gonna try some rice at lunch..will just white rice wrk?

fsuandi7
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Yeah, that should work and if it needs a little flavor just a tad bit of butter nothing excessive. Mine eats it plain. She is doing fine. If she doesn't want to eat, you can't really force her you could try giving her some soup, but if she won't take to it then I'd say a little bit of broth. Have you tried saltines? It just took me over 30 mins to give mine her amoxicillin she spit it out then pharmcist said to mix with something to drink and took forever to drink a little bit of apple juice. she's not eating much either. just munching on saltines. if she is still having diahearra really bad then may want to take her back into er. just keep the fluids going more than anything pedialyte, water...not much you can really give her but soup broth would be good too

Quoting fkh8ah:

i tried getting her to eat a banana a few mins ago..she wouldnt do it but i did get her to eat a yogurt and half of a piece of toast and a ritz cracker..i havent seen her eat that much in a few days hopefully itll harden the stools..im gonna try some rice at lunch..will just white rice wrk?

gobimom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:59 AM

The BRAT diet is the way to go along with pedialyte...try to steer clear of water because it has no sugar or electrolytes in it.  I work on a pediatric department and we see kids that get even sicker if all they will take is water - they need the sugar to keep from getting a low sodium or hypoglycemia.  Once they are taking in enough other things water is okay.  Good luck .

Quoting Allison7777:

BRAT diet should help

Bananana's, rice, apples, toast
I wouldn't give more milk because it could cause the diarrhea to increase. Just stick with the pediolyte or water

Good luck!

fsuandi7
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:03 AM

oh and if she doesn't like the pedialyte too much (mine doesn't) then my daughters doc said to give her gatorade but really dilute it, so thats what I do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)