Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stripping Membranes...?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:13 AM
  • 5 Replies

I will be 38 weeks on my next appointment, I'm 37 weeks 4 days today.... I was wondering when they would strip the membranes? Would they do it at 38 weeks if I asked them to?

Also, how long does it take and what exactly do they do?

If you've had this done, how far along were you and did it actually work?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gypsydancer7
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:15 AM

My dr will NOT do anything like that until at least 39 weeks and only if your already showing progress. Its just a really rough vaginal exam...it will hurt and you will bleed. It only works about 30% of the time.

MonroeLoves82
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:16 AM

It depends on your doctor, but I doubt that they would. Unless there is a real medical reason, most do not want to interviene before 40 weeks.

Like a good debate about Mothering Hot Topics?
Come debate with us!

My name is Alli, I am a mother to two children Brady and Addison.
I am a nurse, wife, midwifery student, aspiring doula, straight edge, breastfeeding, homebirthing, non vaccinating, liberal, pro choice, future home schooling, green living, army wife, atheist, level headed, feminist.

jenjobrien
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:17 AM

Not all doctors will do it, period.  Some will suggest it and others might do it if you ask them to.  All you can do is ask!

MorganRaesMom
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Yeah my dr. has told me that he doesn't do that unless I'm past 40 weeks and there's a medical reason to do so.

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Emmy217
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 10:27 AM

I had it done 4 days past my due date. I can't really say if it did anything because after it was done I was sent to the hospital where I was induced because of high blood pressure. It was kind of painful/uncomfortable though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)