• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like I'm leaking fluid but my doctor said I'm not...advice and opinions please! TMI

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:30 PM
  • 7 Replies

Ok so on Tuesday I felt this gush when I stood up from the couch and thought it was my water breaking. But I went to the bathroom and nothing had really come out, just a tiny bit of dampness with some discharge.

Anyway I went to the doctor and told her about it and she didn't give me that strip test, but instead she checked me and said my water was intact and wasn't leaking.

I don't know how she would know it's not leaking though without testing it. The feeling has been on and off since Tuesday but I have it a lot today. I keep feeling little gushes of fluid down there. I put a pad on to check it because I heard if it smells sweet it's fluid. Well I can't really tell what it smells like. It's not pee, I know that for sure. I'm thinking maybe it's just discharge? But it's very liquidity, it's not really the consistency of discharge.

Any ideas of what to do? What are the dangers if I am leaking and she was wrong? What would you do?

Lilypie 3rd Birthday TickerLilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LisaKelz
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Ive never experienced this, but trust your instincts. You are paying your dr to take care of you & your baby- so tell her/him you want the test! They cant say no to a simple test like that. But I also noticed that you are over 39 weeks along- could it maybe be your mucus plug??

JEM86
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:33 PM

go to labor and delivery--they'll do the strip test!

I am a 22 year old mommy to one, wife to an airman and a student. I am a breastfeeding, cosleeping, semi-attachment parenting, stroller pushing mama, and I wouldn't have it any other way!!!

bezark
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 1:34 PM

It's probably just discharge. Mine has been very watery through my whole pregnancy, and I'm pretty sure I haven't just been dripping amniotic fluid since the 1st trimester. :)

Mommyof2soon411
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:10 PM

just to be on the safe side go to L&D just to make sure your water hasn't broken and just get hooked up to a monator.....good luck mama

tbahn911
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:33 PM

It's probably just discharge.  I went to L&D because I thought I was leaking.  I stood up and my pants were almost as if I peed in them.  She checked me and said it was just discharge.  They said the way to tell is if it can fill a pad and continuously leak.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

babysmama03
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:37 PM

It could be your water I dont know but go to be on the safe side the drs let my mom hold my lil brother in for a day without water and he now has slight brain damage and has to be in special classes because of it. Also you could set up an infection that could kill both you and the baby it may not be but you cant be to cautious about this kinda stuff GOOD LUCK I hope it has so you can hold your precious baby.

pregnancy due date
Angi1234
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:31 PM

To truly confirm if it is amniotic fluid a sterile speculum exam should be done.  The doctor should look for any pooling of fluid in the vaginal canal, swab it with a q-tip and test it on nitrazine paper and place the fluid on a microscope slide.  When the fluid dries, after about 10", it will look like fern leaves under the microscope, this is called ferning.  It is possible to have a "high leak", this is where the bag of water breaks up high or somewhere else besides right over the babies head and slowly trickles out.  It doesn't have to be a big gush.  How many weeks are you? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)