Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Having membranes stripped tomorrow....would like to hear about your experience with it

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:27 PM
  • 10 Replies

I go in tomorrow morning to have my membranes stripped. I'm kind of nervous about it because I heard that it can be very painful, but I am all for having it done if it will help jumpstart labor. If you or someone you know has had it done please share your experience....did it work?how bad did it hurt? If it did work how long did it take?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyIvy
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:28 PM

Never had it done. Good Luck!

I love my son Pictures, Images and PhotosEXPECTING A GIRL Pictures, Images and Photosproud c section mommy Pictures, Images and PhotosFormula feeding mom Pictures, Images and PhotosDue in March Pictures, Images and PhotosHappily Married rings Pictures, Images and Photos

jenjobrien
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:28 PM

I dont remember it hurting that bad.  My mucus plug came out the next day and then two days later I was in labor.

twest06
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:29 PM

I had it done with my 2nd child...it didnt hurt that much. But it did kick me into labor that evening and had her the next day.

Emmy217
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Well I had it done. I was 4 days past my due date when it was done. It was kind of painful/uncomfortable. I can't really say if it worked or not because I was then sent up to the hospital where I was induced because of high blood pressure. I was 5 cm dialated when I had them stripped. Labor still took 14 hours, even after stripping membranes and pitocin.

JamesonsMa1209
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:32 PM

I had it done 2 days before I had my son...the doctor really didn't tell me what he was doing, I thought he was just checking my cervix. When he was done I told him he was lucky he wasn't close enough for me to punch him in the face because it hurt so bad lol. It could have been that I wasn't expecting for him to do that, but oww it hurt.

Evansmom24
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Mine wasn't real painful... it was uncomfortable, but not real painful. It was really gross though Because I saw what she had when she was done TMI YUCK. But it worked 48hours later.

doulala
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:50 PM

I have known many to do this, but not myself.
For some it worked within one day and for others, it didn't work at all. 
Most said it's very uncomfortable--painful.
(A few have had this done against their consent, too.)      :-(

I don't like it, personally, because of the risks. If I can avoid them, I like to!    ;-)

Are you prefering a natural/vaginal delivery?   How do you feel about interventions and cesareans?   Can you wait until your baby is more ready before trying something like this?

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

lovemy918
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:51 PM

I did. honestly It felt like a rough exam.  Might cause some bleeding/spotting....I just had a very small amount of spotting.  I'm not sure if it would have actually helped to start Labor, because I was induced the next day, but it did help with dialation from the contractions I had.  Good luck!

Proud Selectively Induced (at 39wks)  Mom of a HEALTHY previously formula fed, Huggies wearing, fully Vaccinated (so yours doesnt have to be), Table Food eating, Brown Eyed Princess.  Does this make me a bad mom?  I dont Think So

.Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

ttc metformin blinkie ttc pcos blinkie

Steph0079
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:53 PM

I did have it done, it felt just a tad bit more painful than a regular exam.   It kicked me right into labor later on that night.

Check out this site to earn extra cash.  You sign up, don't pay a thing, do a couple of surveys or refer your friends and you get a check.  I made $261.23 in December! I get a check every month, please PM me with questions if you have them.  http://www.cashcrate.com/383789   

stephanieevers
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I had it with my first and I wouldnt say it is anymore painful or uncomfortable then getting checked. and I went into labor the next night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)