Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

natural birth in hosptial?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:19 PM
  • 12 Replies

i had a c-section with DD#1 4 years ago, and i'm 34 weeks with DD#2. i absolutely want to have a natural as posible birth this time, last time was just ugh....lets just say i don't remember MOST of DD#1 first 2 weeks of life bc of the drugs and such. i want this time to be a different as possible. i've been doing alot of research for myself, and i have confidience that my body can do this. the thing is i have to have her in a hospital, insurance and previous c-section and all. i'd like to hear some experiences you've had with a natural birth in a hospital, did you have to fight for what you wanted? did they try to push you into what they thought you should do? i want to move and labor as my body wants and i don't want to push on my back with my legs up. can it be done? seriously?

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LisaKelz
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:24 PM

Im not sure since you had a c-section in the past. Just ask your dr!

doulala
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Quoting babycowart:

i have to have her in a hospital, insurance and previous c-section and all.

Is there a midwife that can work with you?  (Increasing the chances of getting what you want)

If there is, she might attend out-of-hospital births, increasing your chances even more.

i'd like to hear some experiences you've had with a natural birth in a hospital, did you have to fight for what you wanted?

I have only attended other women in the hospital, they had pressure and constant interruption, but I helped stand ground, keeping Natural as the focus.   ;- /

i want to move and labor as my body wants and i don't want to push on my back with my legs up. can it be done? seriously?

Yes, it can be done, unfortunately, it might be hard in some hospitals & with some hospital staff.    Birthing their way is for their convenience, not yours, and has become the norm on their territory.

You can do as you wish, nothing can be forced, you must always consent.

Having an established plan with  your provider, a written birth plan, and a doula to help can really help a lot.

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

ladyjones76
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:30 PM

It depends on the seriousness of the situation...The babys heart rate must be good in order for you to deliver without being on your back also you as well must be doing good heart wise and contractions..How did you want to deliver???  Cause i wanted to walk while in pain and they wouldnt let me and laying there was so uncomfortable and at times i wanted to lay on the floor and be and pain cause they beds where very very uncomfortable and again they said no

ladyjones76
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I totally agree with having a plan cause thats what most ladies have and their provider and doula will talk to the labor and delivery department when you are in labor makes it much better...With my son#4 I had a midwife and she was a great deal of help the L&D DEPARTMENT had to listen to what she had to say

Quoting doulala:

Quoting babycowart:

i have to have her in a hospital, insurance and previous c-section and all.

Is there a midwife that can work with you?  (Increasing the chances of getting what you want)

If there is, she might attend out-of-hospital births, increasing your chances even more.

i'd like to hear some experiences you've had with a natural birth in a hospital, did you have to fight for what you wanted?

I have only attended other women in the hospital, they had pressure and constant interruption, but I helped stand ground, keeping Natural as the focus.   ;- /

i want to move and labor as my body wants and i don't want to push on my back with my legs up. can it be done? seriously?

Yes, it can be done, unfortunately, it might be hard in some hospitals & with some hospital staff.    Birthing their way is for their convenience, not yours, and has become the norm on their territory.

You can do as you wish, nothing can be forced, you must always consent.

Having an established plan with  your provider, a written birth plan, and a doula to help can really help a lot.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
doulala
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:35 PM

That can be a problem with hospitals--  you have the Right to do as you desire, but might need to sign paperwork stating you're going against their advice.   Moms do need to know what their options are and how easy/difficult it might be to achieve that.   In the end, it's for the staff's convenience.  

Moms want to move & walk in labor because this is how we're designed.   Mother Nature/God intended us to stay UPright/lean forward for birth.   Doing otherwise is a modern obstacle that has come with the recent popularity of birthing with doctors and in hospitals.

Quoting ladyjones76:

Cause i wanted to walk while in pain and they wouldnt let me and laying there was so uncomfortable and at times i wanted to lay on the floor and be and pain cause they beds where very very uncomfortable and again they said no

If you don't know your options, you don't have any.           ~Korte & Scaer

Mothers need to know that their care and their choices won't be compromised by birth politics.                                                                                            ~Jennifer Rosenberg

rena_goldmoon
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:38 PM

You have to have someone else there with you for support because once you hit transition contractions its easy to be distracted in trying to liston to your body and thats when they wiil start pushing stuff. They had my legs up in the stirrups before I even new what was going on. Thats what I wanted my Mom there for but baby came early and Mom lives 4 1/2 hours away. She ended up getting there 45 min too late.

miasmommy21407
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Before I say anything let me first say that IT IS YOUR BODY!! You do NOT lose possession of it the minute you walk in the hospital!! If you were in any other situation would you as a grow women allow other people to tell you what you can and can't do?? These are just some things to think about. Often you will hear "It depends on what the hospital allows" BS!!! Your in CHARGE. Make sure they know that.

OK and now for the rest...I am having a hospital delivery do to medical reasons and I plan to have a natural birth. Some people will tell you that it's impossible to have a natural hospital birth because just going there makes it unnatural. I personally do not believe this. I think that, although rare it can be achieved.

It sounds like you are doing a great job of arming yourself with lots of information and that's great. I also suggest looking into a doula. Like I said before make sure they know your in charge. Wear your own clothes and do not put on the "mandatory" hospital gown, KNOW what IS and what IS not natural, what constitutes as a real emergency and what doesn't.

You can push in any position you like. To say that you have to be on your back ifthe heart rate isn't good is quite untrue. Actually it makes more since to NOT be on your back since that makes the pelvis smaller and makes the pushing time longer increasing your risk of a c-section.

I could keep going for hours but if you want to talk, want more info or just want to support each other in achieving this goal LET ME KNOW!! PM ME!!

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

Breastfeeding is the most natural and loving gift you can give your baby and yourself!

Resheda Hagen-Founder Lansinoh Labortories

owner-Breastfeeding Moms Against Formula (other than for medical reasons)

newmom111008
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:44 PM

I had no problems getting what I wanted when I had my daughter. When I was in alot of pain I was aloud to get up and walk it out. They only had me get back into bed when it was time to push. The nurse asked me once if I wanted anything for pain, I said no thank you and that if I did change my mind I would ask her. She never asked me again. I had an all natural hospital birth and it was a great experiance for me. Good luck to you!

babycowart
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 3:48 PM

i'm not sure how i want to deliver yet but i know i REALLY don't like the idea of not being able to move around.

Quoting ladyjones76:

It depends on the seriousness of the situation...The babys heart rate must be good in order for you to deliver without being on your back also you as well must be doing good heart wise and contractions..How did you want to deliver???  Cause i wanted to walk while in pain and they wouldnt let me and laying there was so uncomfortable and at times i wanted to lay on the floor and be and pain cause they beds where very very uncomfortable and again they said no

babycowart
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:01 PM

ya, i 'm thinking im gonna have go it there with a fighting mind set bc my husbands family is the only family around us and they do not support the natural thing they think i'm trying to prove something. i don't have a mid-wife or doula either, so it's just me and DH. he's all for whatever i feel i need to do.

i have also read about being on your back increases your risk for a c-section. that's just one of the many reasons i don't want to do it. besides i feel like i'd be more comfortable on my knees or squatting.

much luck to you :) i'll keep you posted.

Quoting miasmommy21407:

Before I say anything let me first say that IT IS YOUR BODY!! You do NOT lose possession of it the minute you walk in the hospital!! If you were in any other situation would you as a grow women allow other people to tell you what you can and can't do?? These are just some things to think about. Often you will hear "It depends on what the hospital allows" BS!!! Your in CHARGE. Make sure they know that.

OK and now for the rest...I am having a hospital delivery do to medical reasons and I plan to have a natural birth. Some people will tell you that it's impossible to have a natural hospital birth because just going there makes it unnatural. I personally do not believe this. I think that, although rare it can be achieved.

It sounds like you are doing a great job of arming yourself with lots of information and that's great. I also suggest looking into a doula. Like I said before make sure they know your in charge. Wear your own clothes and do not put on the "mandatory" hospital gown, KNOW what IS and what IS not natural, what constitutes as a real emergency and what doesn't.

You can push in any position you like. To say that you have to be on your back ifthe heart rate isn't good is quite untrue. Actually it makes more since to NOT be on your back since that makes the pelvis smaller and makes the pushing time longer increasing your risk of a c-section.

I could keep going for hours but if you want to talk, want more info or just want to support each other in achieving this goal LET ME KNOW!! PM ME!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)