• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can it vary so much? I'm getting worried and my ob is certainly not!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:23 PM
  • 17 Replies

I was in L&D at 29 weeks and the dr there took the time to ask me questions about my due date and how accurate I thought it was, and made me really think, since then I've considered when conception could have happened and IF that due date was possible. IT'S NOT. So when I saw my regular OB I voiced my concerns, and he basically didn't listen so much and just told me oh well and we're sticking with the original due date, not the one that the L&D doc and I had landed on.

Now, I wouldn't care so much if these 2 dates were only a few days apart, but they are 3 WEEKS apart. I'm getting to the end, and they mentioned doing another sono to check baby's size and position (he was measuring almost 4 weeks ahead at the 29 week sono and at 32 weeks was breech!) My next appt is Feb 3rd, but now I'm wondering if they are even going to have time... I delivered my daughter at 37w5d, and have already had preterm labor with this one... my OB said he doubted I would go longer with this one than the last one. So by one due date, I'm 33 weeks today, by the other due date, I'm 35 weeks and 6 days! So, if you go by that, at my next appt (where they will schedule that sono) I will be 37 weeks and 1 day! Assuming I didnt go into labor by then! I don't understand why no one else sees this as a big deal but me and the one L&D dr (which if my insurance covered him, he would be my regular ob!!) I saw back at 29 weeks!

Oh, another complication is that I'm stuck here in PA - 2 hours from my family and friends, since it didnt work out with my kids dad, I'm alone here, I know no one! My mom's supposed to come out to watch my daughter while I'm in labor and in the hosp. and stay with me for a little while afterwards, but she's got to request the time off work or thats not a guarantee. So I might not even have anyone to watch my daughter... i asked him to set an induction date so she could get the time off, but he said "We'll talk about setting it for 39 weeks" BY HIS DUE DATE! Even though he already told me he doesnt think this pregnancy will make it further than my last where I delivered before 38 weeks!

Ahhh, I'm going to go crazy with all this thinking and how its making life more complicated. So I thought I should have almost 2 more months, now I'm worried he'll be here in the next 2 weeks and I'm not at all prepared!

PHEW ok I think that was more of a vent than anything.

EDIT: Just realized I never mentioned the 2 due dates.

OB says 3/15

L&D OB says 2/23

LMP says 2/1

I'm a 24 year old, *single* mom, to a 13 month old princess, and a prince on the way. I'm 33 weeks pregnant, I've had previa, abruption, gall bladder surgery, kidney stones, preterm labor and have been passing out, but this little boy is worth it all. I've been through postpartum depression, domestic violence, my parents divorce, losing my job & becoming poor, losing my car, and my license, and becoming a single mom... all in the last year and I'm still glad to be here!!

I *LOVE* my kids more than anything else on this planet!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyOnLI
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:24 PM

when was your last LMP?

Wiifeytype1025
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:26 PM

I should also mention that my fundal height has been consistently off by around 6 weeks. And at my 32 week appt, last week, I was measuring 40 weeks!

My LMP was April 27, going by that, my due date is 2/1/09... my cycle was off since I had my daughter though, so that probably isnt right... which is why they did a sono early on and said I was 6 weeks, even though I think further -- I was pregnant with twins and they werent growing well, and I lost one at 14 weeks, only then did the other start growing better.

I guess we'll see, but lets hope everything works out!

I'm a 24 year old, *single* mom, to a 13 month old princess, and a prince on the way. I'm 33 weeks pregnant, I've had previa, abruption, gall bladder surgery, kidney stones, preterm labor and have been passing out, but this little boy is worth it all. I've been through postpartum depression, domestic violence, my parents divorce, losing my job & becoming poor, losing my car, and my license, and becoming a single mom... all in the last year and I'm still glad to be here!!

Wiifeytype1025
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:27 PM

Sorry I added that info - it was 4/27 and going by that due date is 2/1/09

Quoting MommyOnLI:

when was your last LMP?

doulala
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I also had a 3 weeks stretch!   I whimsically chose one date as they were all as good as any other...   My DD came at 41 weeks according to that.

Since it's all an estimate, I guess staying open to whatever might help.

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

Wiifeytype1025
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:33 PM

I figured I'll just try to bust my butt and get everything ready before 2/23 and hope and pray I have someone to watch her when I'm in labor (or my mom can get out here before I have to start pushing!!)

Quoting doulala:

I also had a 3 weeks stretch!   I whimsically chose one date as they were all as good as any other...   My DD came at 41 weeks according to that.

doulala
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Oh, yah, I forgot to finish my reply, lol!

I was going to mention that I also had set up a birth doula to be my childcare.   She was great because she came to my prenatals and watched my DD there, and was free!

Quoting Wiifeytype1025:

I figured I'll just try to bust my butt and get everything ready before 2/23 and hope and pray I have someone to watch her when I'm in labor (or my mom can get out here before I have to start pushing!!)

Quoting doulala:

• Doulas mother the mother.    :-)
  • Every woman who wants a doula should have one!   :-)
  • If you don't know your options you don't have any.   ~Korte & Scaer
  • If a doula were a drug, it would be unethical not to use it. -John H. Kennell, MD
  • Women's strongest feelings [in terms of their birthings], positive and

negative, focus on the way they were treated by their caregivers.   ~Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin
Wiifeytype1025
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I have medicaid so I doubt it would be covered. BUT that would be awesome!

Wiifeytype1025
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:38 PM

If push comes to shove I'll have to call my exes mother. The issue with that is... last time I asked her to watch my daughter when I was in the hospital, she said something along the lines of "Well, if you're not able to care for her, we're just going to have to go for full custody then" like WTF?! I'm having your grandchild, you KNOW I have no one else here, and you're trying to kick me when I'm down? So I'm really trying to aviod having to call them.

doulala
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Oh~  no, she's not free through insurance (I had medicaid, too, btw), but free because she wants to be.  :-D

Doulas often use sliding-scales rates, offer discounts or free services...   And those getting certified tend to offer completely free services for their requirements!

Quoting Wiifeytype1025:

"The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works--"       ~obama

Ask this of our maternity care system, as well.

"I am a lefty, get used to it"      ~obama

Wiifeytype1025
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 4:41 PM

WELL, send one my way!! Where can I get one? Yellow pages?! Help me get one!!!! lol Sorry, that got me a little excited, I'd love to have someone actually CARE about my pregnancy besides me!!!

Quoting doulala:

Not she's not free through insurance (I had medicaid, too, btw), but free because she wants to be.  :-D

Doulas often use sliding-scales rates, offer discounts or free services...   And those getting certified tend to offer completely free services for their requirements!

Quoting Wiifeytype1025:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)