Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding question....

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:49 PM
  • 4 Replies
Okay, for all you moms who have done it before...

I'd like to try both breast and formula bottle feeding...maybe not the bottle right away, but i'm going to have a short maternity leave, and i want to make sure the baby is used to the bottle fairly quickly so i don't run into any problems, but still gets the important breast milk in the beginning....i guess my question is this...i don't want to invest in a pump that costs hundreds of dollars if there's a chance i'm only going to be using it for a short while...is it possible to breast feed and not need to pump? is pumping just an option? my due date is in 3 weeks and i'm starting to feel like i don't know anything about this! i want to do right by the baby, but i have no clue what i'm doing as of now...

really need all your advice on this one...

Lee
pregnancy calendar
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mama2jarednrae
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 5:56 PM

you don't have to pump....but you could pump instead of buying formula and save some money in the long run....
but you can also barrow a pump from wic....or rent one from your hospital...
try to hold off on the bottle as long as you can...b/c the baby will prefer the bottle over the breast...

nonna
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:05 PM

You can rent a pump from the hospital, at least for the first month to see if bf is for you.  "They" say not to introduce a bottle for 4 weeks after birth if you're breastfeeding because it can cause nipple confusion. 

Krystiana ~ Loving wifey to Nick, Momma to Juliana,
Stepmomma to Lillyana,
and growing a boy. EDD-2/20/09

isaacsmom2004
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:18 PM

You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on a pump. I bought a Medela manual pump. I don't use it all the time, maybe once a week, sometimes not even that. I'll use it to give myself a break (he likes to eat) or when I go somewhere (sometimes). BUT.....his doctor told me to give him formula when he was 5 days old b/c he hadn't had a bowel movement since he was in the hospital, so I had no choice but to give him a bottle. But you do want to try to wait as long as possible before giving your baby a bottle b/c of nipple confusion. After Aiden had a bowel movement I tried to breastfeed him and it took him 2 or 3 days to get the hang of it again. But I kept trying.  If it hadn't been for my husband I would have given up. But he finally got the hang of it again, and has been BF for almost 2 months now. And I can pump and give him a bottle and not have to worry about him getting confused. Also start BF ASAP. I started I think within 30 minutes of him being born, at least an hour after he was born and he latched on right away. They say the sooner you start the better. And I believe that.....Also you need to BF as much as possible so you have a good supply. The more you BF the better supply you'll have. Good luck!

Coley01
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:26 PM

You don't need a pump if you want to give the baby formula while you are at work, but like a pp said you can pump and give the baby breast milk while you are at work instead of formula, that is what I did when I went back to school and saved so much money not buying formula!  I only had a medela hand pump that the hospital gave to me when I was in the hospital and I was able to pump enough with that, so that my son never had to have formula, so you don't have to spend an arm and a leg on a pump, although it is much easier to have an electric pump, but the hand pump gave me a good workout, lol!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)