• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maybe a stupid question......

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:41 PM
  • 10 Replies

Ok so I have been really sick the past almost week (Sorry...i have posted a lot about it!) Anyways I am going to have to call the dr tomorrow.......should I go to my regular family dr or to my ob?  I know my family dr would know more about sickness and diseases but would he know about what medications would be ok for me to take seeing as I am 36 weeks pregnant? Obviously my ob knows more about pregnancy but I don't think they are trained treat illness.....

Also it doesnt help that I think my family dr is a moron but I havn't gotten a chance to find a new one yet......

expecting girl                                      baseball
            Makayla  due 2/23/09!!                                  Matthew Dylan 3/9/05

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cranmer8
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:48 PM

It shouldn't make a difference which doctor you go to. Yes, your OB specializes in labor and delivery and the like but they still had to go to medical school to learn the basics first. Either one should know what you can take and all that. 

Heather

fsuandi7
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:50 PM

Totally agree...go to whoever can get you in.

Quoting cranmer8:

It shouldn't make a difference which doctor you go to. Yes, your OB specializes in labor and delivery and the like but they still had to go to medical school to learn the basics first. Either one should know what you can take and all that. 

nicolea86
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 6:53 PM

i'd see either one, and then if the regular dr is the one you can see,.....whatever meds the reg. dr gives you. id call my OB to make sure that is an ok drug for my pregnancy....the regular physician doesnt know your history of being pregnant like your ob will. If a certain med could effect yours

PregoDiana
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:04 PM
When I was sick, I called my OB, thinking I had to go to them. But they said they only deal with things related to my pregnancy, and I had to call my regular practice. Just tell them when scheduling that you are pregnant, and when you are there, TELL them, dont just assume they know. And when they prescribe whatever, ask if its ok with pregnancy.... just to be safe. But I would call your OB first, and see what they want you to do! =)
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
SAM
THE LOVE OF MY LIFE
BORN DECEMBER 19th, 2008
stellarmom1
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I had a very bad cold/sinus infection at the beginning of my pregnancy and my ob treated me.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
SparklesNC
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:42 PM

I always go to my OB

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

mommy2b23
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:46 PM

hey hun!!! I would reccomend going to your ob. no they dont know too much about sickness but they are still md's and they more about what u can and cant take during your pregnancy. good luck and i hope all goes well. xoxo

doulala
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 8:47 PM

I would call/see the OB.   Knowing what you can/can't do in this timeframe is their specialty.    You are supposed to be under their care unless referred out, I believe.   Either way, you can call one and see what they suggest.

Get well soon!

"The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works--"       ~obama

Ask this of our maternity care system, as well.

"I am a lefty, get used to it"      ~obama

jessica.simpler
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:36 AM

I've been sick since I've gotten pregnant & I called my OB & he told me to come see him. They are just as capable of diagnosing and giving you meds to make you better! &&, your OB will know exactly what kind of meds you can take. It'll just make it easier to go see the OB!! Hope it was helpful!

absinth13
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 12:38 AM

My OB told me at the beginning of my pregnancy that I would go to her for everything until I had the baby since she would be the one to know what the safest treatments would be as far as the baby was concerned.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)