Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A piece of advice

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:17 PM
  • 21 Replies

I am not trying to start anything, but I see so many posts that say "ask your doctor this" "ask your doctor that."  Doctor's don't know everything.  They are still human. Hasn't anyone ever seen mystery diagnosis?  Doctor's screw up and get things wrong.  You can ask for their advice but you also need to do you what you feel is best for your child or for yourself. 

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DixieFlower
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:21 PM

The only reason I add that to anything I post is due to the fact I don't know the posters medical history. What might be safe for me to take or do might not be the same for them. So I will always post what I do along with "ask your dr" I would feel awful if I gave "medical" advice to someone and it was contraindicated by a condition or medication they are currently taking.

Pregnancy ticker

jeswill
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM

you know I think most of us are just looking for someone to talk to cause some times family and friends and even doctors just don't want to listen to us and they don't seem to care

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
MonroeLoves82
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM

That is why I choose not to see a doctor for my pregnancy care, but I think many women suggest it here because not many of us are qualified to give out medical advice.

Like a good debate about Mothering Hot Topics?
Come debate with us!

My name is Alli, I am a mother to two children Brady and Addison.
I am a nurse, wife, midwifery student, aspiring doula, straight edge, breastfeeding, homebirthing, non vaccinating, liberal, pro choice, future home schooling, green living, army wife, atheist, level headed, feminist.

schmeisj1515
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:25 PM

I understand that.  I am just saying b/c some of the posts I have read on here say, "I did this because my doctor told me to and doctor's know best"  stuff like that.  I am just saying it b/c people don't seem to understand they are still human.  A lot of them have this job for the money and I am sure some of them have this job b/c they really care.  But anytime you go to the doctor and say I have this problem, what do they do?  They prescribe you medicine b/c they make money from it, and it's easy.  I worked for a dermatologist office and they clearly said to me that the reason they had that job was for the money and that's what made me feel this way.  They really made me distrust them and most doctors. I understand getting advice but I just wish people would also do what they feel is best. 

katzmeow726
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:27 PM

SUre they don't know everything, but they know a hell of a lot more than me.  I can't imagine telling somone to do/take something and it ends up hurthing them in the end.  Hence "call the doc." its the best advice in like 98% of cases

Steph_reynolds
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:28 PM

I second this

Quoting katzmeow726:

SUre they don't know everything, but they know a hell of a lot more than me.  I can't imagine telling somone to do/take something and it ends up hurthing them in the end.  Hence "call the doc." its the best advice in like 98% of cases

allensavannahs
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:28 PM

very true.... i have life experience with my own body and my children but i don't know anything about you!. I'm a hairdresser hmm a Hair DR I suppose not a Medical DR  dealing with the body or the mind.  Wanna know about hair??? i got ya covered, the human body short of the scalp and hair I haven't a clue

Quoting MonroeLoves82:

That is why I choose not to see a doctor for my pregnancy care, but I think many women suggest it here because not many of us are qualified to give out medical advice.

katzmeow726
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Well I also refer to what to expect when you're expecting very often, its a very helpful books.  And my mom is a nurse, so I always feel safe asking her.

Quoting schmeisj1515:

I understand that.  I am just saying b/c some of the posts I have read on here say, "I did this because my doctor told me to and doctor's know best"  stuff like that.  I am just saying it b/c people don't seem to understand they are still human.  A lot of them have this job for the money and I am sure some of them have this job b/c they really care.  But anytime you go to the doctor and say I have this problem, what do they do?  They prescribe you medicine b/c they make money from it, and it's easy.  I worked for a dermatologist office and they clearly said to me that the reason they had that job was for the money and that's what made me feel this way.  They really made me distrust them and most doctors. I understand getting advice but I just wish people would also do what they feel is best. 

schmeisj1515

Well, obviously that person can make their OWN decision.  Who in Gods name would do something just b/c someone on the internet told them to?  That's ridiculous. Doctor's still dont' know everything.

aecooper

I understand what you are saying and agree with you.  I actually have had 3 different doctors for my DD.  I switched after the first because we moved our of state, the second because she accused me abusing my DD when she had Mongolian spots.  The doctor I have now will not subscribe you any medicine unless he thinks that you need it.  Whenever DD is sick he tells me what home remedies to try and most of them are not using any medications.

Quoting schmeisj1515:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)