• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

?? about birthcontrol??

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:40 PM
  • 11 Replies

Ok so I am starting birthcontrol now after having my DD last month. I talked to my doctor and I decided on ortho evra "the patch". But now I am a little worried about starting it because I found out that there is a lawsuit against it for blood clots. Another option I had considered is the new implant Implanon. Im unsure whether to stick with ortho evra or to go ahead and try the implant. Is or has anyone been on Ortho Evra or the implant?? And did you like it or dislike it?? And why?? I appreciate any feedback . Please help I don't want any kids in the near future and im not good with the pill hence my first baby. But I love her to death. Thanks!

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nanasmommy07
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:43 PM

I had a friend who was on Ortho Evra..she hated it. She had horrible mood swings, but I know that's not the case with some people. Other than that I don't know much about either. Sorry!

Bump!!

ARMYBEBITA
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:44 PM

I was on the patch before having my first baby and I had to be taken off of it because I was always throwing up and I couldn't eat anything and whenever I didn't eat anything I would still throw up some green acid, I just reacted bad to it but it doesn't mean that you will. I have heard good things and bad things about the IUD but most of my friends have it and they all like it.

Ethansmommy1987
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:47 PM

I was on the patch when I was 16 and hated it. It made my skin burn where I put it. It made me moody, and made my periods worse. I was only on it for 3 months. But it may be different for you.

Steph_reynolds
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I was in Implanon for about 6 months or so.  the reason I picked it was the fast return to fertility after removal.  it took me 2 and a half years to get preg after getting off of Depo, so, I didnt want that to happen again.  the entire time I was on implanon, my periods NEVER got right.  I would go about 2 months without one, and then I would bleed really lightly for 3 weeks or so.  the insertion and removal HURTS and I got it removed about 5 months ago and I STILL have a scar and probably always will bc they have to cut you open to take it out. 

CAgirl1214
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I actually really like the patch.  The only thing that's annoying about it is that the cover part can slide away so the sticky part is hanging out but i just put baby powder on it and the stickyness goes away.  Other than that i liked it because you only had to deal with it once a week.  I plan to go back on it if i can use it while breastfeeding.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
DiVine87
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:53 PM

I was on ortho evra for 2 years with no side effects, no mood swings, or even weight gain. I loved it so much after having my daughter Dec18 i returned to it. I have really really sensitive skin and don't have any issues with it hurting my skin... Hope that helps a little! Good luck on deciding!

Photobucket
Steph_reynolds
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:53 PM

oh yeah, thats another reason i wanted implanon, if I remember correctly, I think you can BF while on it.

Quoting CAgirl1214:

I actually really like the patch.  The only thing that's annoying about it is that the cover part can slide away so the sticky part is hanging out but i just put baby powder on it and the stickyness goes away.  Other than that i liked it because you only had to deal with it once a week.  I plan to go back on it if i can use it while breastfeeding.

Steph_reynolds
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:55 PM

im sorry.. I keep remembering things as we go along.

you need to check with your insurance, because the imsertion sometimes counts as an in office surgery, and some insurances wont cover controlled releas birth controlls.  it is quite expensive (about $1200).  most Drs offices wont even order the stick without pre-authorization from ther insurance cos.

mom4ary
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:57 PM

i HATED ortho evra... it was probably the most convenient since i cant remember to take a pill every day, but it made me a NUTCASE!! i was an emotional wreck, the hormones messed with me big time. I dont think i got that crazy pregnant. i wouldnt go back to it. I also tried the nuvaring but that gave me horrible charlie horses so i stopped taking that.  Im hoping to start Mirena once this baby is born but we will see since my body doesnt tolerate birth control well!

katelynsmom06
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:59 PM

i was allergic to ortho evra i had a rash in the shape of the patch no matter where i put it. but that was the only problem it gave me but i am kinda weary of it because of the lawsuit. but i don't know anything about the implant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)